Aug 18, 2011, 10:48 PM EDT
According to beat writer Bill Ladson of MLB.com, Nationals outfield prospect Bryce Harper was pulled from a game Thursday at Double-A Harrisburg after injuring his hamstring while running the bases.
Harper had to be carried off the field by trainers, but early indications point to the injury being rather minor. He’ll be reevaluated Friday morning.
The 18-year-old phenom has posted an uninspiring .254/.324/.397 batting line with three home runs and seven doubles in 143 plate appearances since jumping to the Double-A level back in early July. He had a sparkling .318/.423/.554 slash line with 14 home runs and 17 doubles over 305 plate appearances at Single-A Hagerstown earlier this year.
Most prospect-ranking services list Harper as the most promising young talent in baseball.
UPDATE, 11:03pm: Harper has officially been diagnosed with a right hamstring strain.
UPDATE, 11:35pm: According to Mark Zuckerman of CSN Washington, Harper will be shut down for the rest of the season if he doesn’t show improvement within the next few days. The minor league schedule only goes another two weeks, and the Nats aren’t going to let him back on the field at less than 100 percent.
UPDATE, 11:48pm: Deadspin found some video.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)