Aug 18, 2011, 5:23 PM EDT
The Brewers, who had won six straight and 19 of their last 21 games, managed just five hits off Kershaw before finally scoring a run in the ninth.
Having thrown 104 pitches in eight, Kershaw didn’t get a chance to go for his third shutout of the season. Javy Guerra came in and gave up a triple to Ryan Braun and a sac fly to Prince Fielder before finishing a 5-1 game.
Kershaw had just six strikeouts today, leaving him one short of 200 for the season. He’ll still be the first National Leaguer to reach that mark this year unless Cliff Lee can fan 16 batters next time out.
It was the eighth time this season that Kershaw has gone without allowing a run. That’s tied for first in the majors with Lee. Kershaw’s Dodger teammate, Hiroki Kuroda, has done it seven times. A host of starters have done it six times apiece: Josh Beckett, Josh Collmenter, Tim Lincecum, Wandy Rodriguez, Tim Stauffer, Jason Vargas and Jered Weaver.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 12
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?