Hall of Fame establishes a Commissioner’s archive

Aug 18, 2011, 9:43 AM EST

cooperstown

Major League Baseball has announced that the Hall of Fame has established an archive for the papers of MLB Commissioners. Sort of like a presidential library, I assume.  From the press release. Quotes from Jane Forbes Clark, Chairman of the Hall of Fame:

“This archive will provide a central location for the study and research of the importance of the Office of the Commissioner, and its role in shaping and advancing the National Pastime for nearly a century.”

The new, permanent addition to the Hall of Fame Library features a private research space that celebrates the role of the Office of the Commissioner and pays tribute to the nine Commissioners who have guided Major League Baseball since Kenesaw Mountain Landis was named the game’s first Commissioner in 1920.

I can’t wait to see all of exhibit and documents about collusion!

1. Kevin S. - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:48 AM

Certain parallels might be more entertaining if I wasn’t seriously concerned that Rick Perry would enter a thesis on the the validity of Genesis should he win the White House.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Genesis is overrated.

• sdelmonte - Aug 18, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Better than Mike and the Mechanics.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM

I was just hoping that they preserved some of Bud Light’s drool in petri dishes, especially if they got some from the meeting where he pitched awarding home field advantage in the World Series to the winner of the allstar game. Failing that, at least they could have saved some from one of the press conferences where he reject more instant replay. All properly labeled, of course. We can’t afford another expose like the one about Abner Doubleday.

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Rejected.

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

2. tuftsb - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:21 AM

More factually based – Biblical stories or baseball originating in Cooperstown?

• jimbo1949 - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Abraham or Abner?

• Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Biblical stories. Just like in The Tree of Life. I especially like the one where David kills that T-rex with a slingshot.

3. tuftsb - Aug 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM

T-Rex was also better than Genesis and/or Mike and the Mechanics.

4. macjacmccoy - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:54 AM

I dont like it unless they do it right and take it serious. They shouldnt just put a guy in because he was a commissioner . They should take the same time and care as they do when evaluating if a certain player announcer or coach should make it in. Guys work their whole lives to make it to Cooperstown and they shouldnt lessen their achievement by letting in some lawyer or business guru in just because he was elected by the some owners to be the head league business. They should have to have made some great contribution to the game to get in and they should also hold scandals that the league and players went throw during their time as commissioner against them. Like Bud Selig for example he should never get in. The fact that hee was the commissioner during the steroids era alone should keep him out. Add in the mess he allowed to happen with the Dodgers, the real possibility of contraction a few years ago, the rise in player misconduct, his public dramas with some players, coaches, and teams, the extreme loss of the league profile and popularity do to the NFL etc. etc. etc.. and there a dozens of other negatives that have occurred in MLB since Selig got a hold of reins. Not to mention he has done nothing to advance the game of baseball.

It could be a good thing if it is done right. Giving guys like Mountain Landis the recognition hes earned. But it also could undermine everything the players who worked their entire lives to get their accomplished if they give a guy like Bud Selig a seat at the table. The only thing Hall worthy about him is his 1st name everything else we could all do without.

• macjacmccoy - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:00 AM

*just bc he was elected by the owners to head up league business* bear with me and my long comment with my missing and missed spelled words. I know its hard to read but I think I made a few decent points. If I had an EDIT FUNCTION I would fix but I dont have an EDIT FUNCTION so I cant EDIT IT.

• Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:14 AM

Out of curiosity, why would you crucify Bud Light for turning a blind eye to the steroids era but put in Mountain Landis, who was an inveterate racist who fought for decades to keep the game segregated? The latter is a far greater black mark on the game’s history than the former.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5065)