Aug 18, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Two weeks ago Hannahan’s wife went into labor with the couple’s first child nearly three months before her October 26 due date. Hannahan and Indians director of team travel Mike Seghi worked on finding a last-minute flight from Boston to Cleveland, but there was nothing until the next morning.
They looked into booking a private jet, but when Hannahan–who’s earning $500,000 after spending nine seasons in the minors–saw the $50,000 price tag he decided just to take the regular flight in the morning … until his teammates chimed in.
“Everybody on this team, young and old, put something together to help Hannie out,” Justin Masterson told Hoynes. “[Austin] Kearns, [Travis] Hafner, [Shin-Soo] Choo, we all said ‘He needs to be there.’ That how all the guys felt.”
When everyone was done kicking in some money they had collected $35,000. And so Hannahan booked the private jet, flew to Cleveland, and arrived at the hospital 15 minutes before his son was born at 3:11 am.
John Joseph Hannahan V weighed just two pounds, 12 ounces and is expected to remain in the hospital until October, but Hannahan called him “a little miracle” and said he’s “been doing great in the hospital.”
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)