Aug 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Kipnis missed four straight games with soreness in his right oblique. The promising 24-year-old was cleared to return after making it through a workout Wednesday that consisted of batting practice, infield practice and some flat-ground throwing.
Kipnis is batting .279/.347/.603 with six home runs, 11 RBI and two stolen bases through the first 75 plate appearances of his big league career. He’s expected to get more time off in the coming days to allow his oblique injury ample time to heal, but the young infielder has ultimately avoided a trip to the disabled list.
UPDATE, 8:43pm: Kipnis was scratched Thursday due to right hamstring tightness, an ailment unrelated to his previous oblique muscle injuries. The rookie infielder can’t seem to catch a break.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)