Aug 18, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
Kipnis missed four straight games with soreness in his right oblique. The promising 24-year-old was cleared to return after making it through a workout Wednesday that consisted of batting practice, infield practice and some flat-ground throwing.
Kipnis is batting .279/.347/.603 with six home runs, 11 RBI and two stolen bases through the first 75 plate appearances of his big league career. He’s expected to get more time off in the coming days to allow his oblique injury ample time to heal, but the young infielder has ultimately avoided a trip to the disabled list.
UPDATE, 8:43pm: Kipnis was scratched Thursday due to right hamstring tightness, an ailment unrelated to his previous oblique muscle injuries. The rookie infielder can’t seem to catch a break.
- George Springer placed on 7-day concussion disabled list 0
- Video: Joey Votto ejected, bumps umpire 18
- Carlos Rodon to make first MLB start Saturday 1
- Bryce Harper’s underrated day: Three at-bats, three homers 42
- Tigers, doctors clear Justin Verlander to resume throwing 12
- Brook Jacoby and umpire Doug Eddings were in a “loud, obscenity-laced, nose-to-nose exchange” 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 143
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (143)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (95)