Aug 18, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Had things worked out as planned, the Twins would have had Luke Hughes at second base, Trevor Plouffe in right field and Joe Mauer behind the plate tonight against the Yankees. That Mauer is instead in right field is because Luke Hughes showed up at the wrong airport gate after getting news of his promotion.
Which, frankly, is a little amazing. Hughes knew last night that he was joining the Twins today, which probably meant that he was flying out of Lehigh Valley International Airport, since Lehigh Valley is where the Rochester Red Wings played Wednesday. And while I’ve never had the pleasure, I can’t imagine navigating Lehigh Valley International Airport, with its 15 gates between two buildings, could get all that confusing.
So, the Twins are probably none too happy with Hughes at the moment. And now we’ll get to see if Mauer handles his exposure to unfamiliar territory any better than Hughes did.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (85)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (79)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (75)