Aug 18, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Had things worked out as planned, the Twins would have had Luke Hughes at second base, Trevor Plouffe in right field and Joe Mauer behind the plate tonight against the Yankees. That Mauer is instead in right field is because Luke Hughes showed up at the wrong airport gate after getting news of his promotion.
Which, frankly, is a little amazing. Hughes knew last night that he was joining the Twins today, which probably meant that he was flying out of Lehigh Valley International Airport, since Lehigh Valley is where the Rochester Red Wings played Wednesday. And while I’ve never had the pleasure, I can’t imagine navigating Lehigh Valley International Airport, with its 15 gates between two buildings, could get all that confusing.
So, the Twins are probably none too happy with Hughes at the moment. And now we’ll get to see if Mauer handles his exposure to unfamiliar territory any better than Hughes did.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 62
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)