Aug 18, 2011, 6:20 PM EDT
Had things worked out as planned, the Twins would have had Luke Hughes at second base, Trevor Plouffe in right field and Joe Mauer behind the plate tonight against the Yankees. That Mauer is instead in right field is because Luke Hughes showed up at the wrong airport gate after getting news of his promotion.
Which, frankly, is a little amazing. Hughes knew last night that he was joining the Twins today, which probably meant that he was flying out of Lehigh Valley International Airport, since Lehigh Valley is where the Rochester Red Wings played Wednesday. And while I’ve never had the pleasure, I can’t imagine navigating Lehigh Valley International Airport, with its 15 gates between two buildings, could get all that confusing.
So, the Twins are probably none too happy with Hughes at the moment. And now we’ll get to see if Mauer handles his exposure to unfamiliar territory any better than Hughes did.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 38
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 45
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)