Aug 18, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
You’ve got to love how social media brings people together. In fact, I’d like to nominate Twitter for The Nobel Peace Prize.
Can I do that? As it turns out, no.
But I’ll forge ahead anyway in praising the peace-making qualities of Twitter. Case in point:
Last night, in his first start in Seattle since the Mariners traded him to Toronto, Brandon Morrow came up-and-in with a fastball to Casper Wells, hitting him in the nose. It was a glancing blow, but scary nonetheless, and one had to wonder if it was payback for Blake Beavan buzzing some Blue Jays earlier in the game, or some sort of in-your-face message to Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik.
Not so, it appears, as Morrow took to Twitter to apologize to Wells last night:
Wells responded within a couple hours with some light-hearted humor.
Then someone pulled out an acoustic guitar – it was Bernie Williams, I think – and everyone gathered around the camp fire and sang Kumbaya. I might have made that last part up. But it does warm the heart doesn’t it?
As far as Seattle being amazing. Yes it is, fellas, but get back to me in February.
(H/T to Gerry Spratt at the Seattle P-I)
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 3
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 16
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (190)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)