Aug 18, 2011, 9:20 PM EST
You’ve got to love how social media brings people together. In fact, I’d like to nominate Twitter for The Nobel Peace Prize.
Can I do that? As it turns out, no.
But I’ll forge ahead anyway in praising the peace-making qualities of Twitter. Case in point:
Last night, in his first start in Seattle since the Mariners traded him to Toronto, Brandon Morrow came up-and-in with a fastball to Casper Wells, hitting him in the nose. It was a glancing blow, but scary nonetheless, and one had to wonder if it was payback for Blake Beavan buzzing some Blue Jays earlier in the game, or some sort of in-your-face message to Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik.
Not so, it appears, as Morrow took to Twitter to apologize to Wells last night:
Wells responded within a couple hours with some light-hearted humor.
Then someone pulled out an acoustic guitar – it was Bernie Williams, I think – and everyone gathered around the camp fire and sang Kumbaya. I might have made that last part up. But it does warm the heart doesn’t it?
As far as Seattle being amazing. Yes it is, fellas, but get back to me in February.
(H/T to Gerry Spratt at the Seattle P-I)
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)