Aug 18, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Tampa Bay has today off and they’ll have John Jaso back in the lineup when they return to action tomorrow, as Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the catcher will come off the disabled list.
Chirinos will be optioned back to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Jaso, who’ll likely resume getting most of the starts while platooning with the right-handed-hitting Shoppach.
Jaso hit just .222 with a .639 OPS in 65 games before landing on the DL, but batted .263 with a .372 on-base percentage and .750 OPS in 109 games as a rookie last season.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (280)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)