Aug 18, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Tampa Bay has today off and they’ll have John Jaso back in the lineup when they return to action tomorrow, as Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that the catcher will come off the disabled list.
Chirinos will be optioned back to Triple-A to make room on the roster for Jaso, who’ll likely resume getting most of the starts while platooning with the right-handed-hitting Shoppach.
Jaso hit just .222 with a .639 OPS in 65 games before landing on the DL, but batted .263 with a .372 on-base percentage and .750 OPS in 109 games as a rookie last season.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 41
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 37
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 20
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 33
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)