Aug 18, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Ortiz remains on the active roster for now despite a heel injury, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are expected to place Youkilis on the disabled list due to back problems.
To take his place on the roster catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway will be called up from Triple-A, where he’s hit .301 with 16 homers and a .993 OPS in 55 games.
Lavarnway was the Red Sox’s sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Yale and the right-handed hitter figures to sub for Ortiz at DH, while Jed Lowrie is in line for most of the starts at third base in place of Youkilis.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)