Aug 18, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Ortiz remains on the active roster for now despite a heel injury, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are expected to place Youkilis on the disabled list due to back problems.
To take his place on the roster catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway will be called up from Triple-A, where he’s hit .301 with 16 homers and a .993 OPS in 55 games.
Lavarnway was the Red Sox’s sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Yale and the right-handed hitter figures to sub for Ortiz at DH, while Jed Lowrie is in line for most of the starts at third base in place of Youkilis.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 70
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)