Aug 18, 2011, 2:10 PM EST
Ortiz remains on the active roster for now despite a heel injury, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are expected to place Youkilis on the disabled list due to back problems.
To take his place on the roster catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway will be called up from Triple-A, where he’s hit .301 with 16 homers and a .993 OPS in 55 games.
Lavarnway was the Red Sox’s sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Yale and the right-handed hitter figures to sub for Ortiz at DH, while Jed Lowrie is in line for most of the starts at third base in place of Youkilis.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 30
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 37
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)