Aug 18, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Ortiz remains on the active roster for now despite a heel injury, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are expected to place Youkilis on the disabled list due to back problems.
To take his place on the roster catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway will be called up from Triple-A, where he’s hit .301 with 16 homers and a .993 OPS in 55 games.
Lavarnway was the Red Sox’s sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Yale and the right-handed hitter figures to sub for Ortiz at DH, while Jed Lowrie is in line for most of the starts at third base in place of Youkilis.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)