Aug 18, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
Ortiz remains on the active roster for now despite a heel injury, but Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox are expected to place Youkilis on the disabled list due to back problems.
To take his place on the roster catcher/designated hitter Ryan Lavarnway will be called up from Triple-A, where he’s hit .301 with 16 homers and a .993 OPS in 55 games.
Lavarnway was the Red Sox’s sixth-round pick in 2008 out of Yale and the right-handed hitter figures to sub for Ortiz at DH, while Jed Lowrie is in line for most of the starts at third base in place of Youkilis.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 1
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 48
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)