That hot dog eater guy is starting for the Orioles on Friday

Aug 18, 2011, 1:52 PM EDT

Takeru Kobayashi

If only his fastball had a little more mustard.

Takeru Kobayashi, the world-record holder in eating hot dogs and Krystal burgers, threw out the first pitch for the Gary Southshore Railcats on Wednesday and did a pretty outstanding job of it.

The Railcats probably should have let him stay in and throw a few more.  They ended up losing to Shreveport-Bossier 11-9.

1. Sportsdrenched - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Hey, I’m going to see the Railcats take on the Wichita Wingnuts Saturday night. I have to love some Indy Baseball and the associated zanyness.

2. Matthew Pouliot - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM

Something I didn’t know: Cristian Guerrero, one-time prospect and first cousin of Vlad, is the Railcats’ all-time home run leader.

• sknut - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Is being a minor league teams all time HR leader like being the tallest midget?

3. Old Gator - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:43 PM

Kobayashi.

Wasn’t he Keyser Soze’s lawyer?

No matter. What I want to know is, who’s the world champ horrible horsemeat and Velveeta sandwich eater? Or is he like one of those sacrificial kings from The Golden Bough who takes the throne just long enough for the cholesterol and benzene to kill him off?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM

There’s no competition for cheesesteak consumption (that I know of anyway). They are delicacies to be savored, not to be inhaled in mass quantities.

• jimbo1949 - Aug 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM

inhaled in mass quantities acrobatically, while wearing rubber gloves with cuffs and hunched over the wastebasket/sink.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Damn…now I want to go inhale one or 10 of them….

4. philly56 - Aug 18, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Wasn’t he arrested for something not long ago?

5. atworkident - Aug 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Huh? Not sure how the Orioles come into play with this.

• Panda Claus - Aug 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM

I’m ticked about this, joking on the O’s that is. My hopes were momentarily lifted because we’d take just about anybody to fill out our starting rotation right now.

The hoax finally hit home after I realized Kobayashi’s heritage. The O’s are nearly invisible in the international player market and that’s when I knew the story couldn’t be true.

6. joeflaccosunibrow - Aug 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM

I would rather have him then Birken in the bullpen!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto