Royals sign Jeff Francoeur to two-year, $13.5 million extension

Aug 18, 2011, 11:34 AM EDT

Kansas City Royals Photo Day Getty Images

UPDATE: The new deal is worth $13.5 million for two seasons.

==========

Credit where it is due. Jeff Francoeur is having a better season than anyone — especially me — thought he would. He’s hitting .278/.328/.465 with 15 homers and 66 RBI and he’s playing his usual above-average defense. That’s more than useful in the Majors these days, and it has now earned him a two-year contract extension with the Royals.

We don’t have the terms yet, but the Royals were soon going to have to make a decision on his $4 million mutual option for 2012.  I would assume that he’s going to get something north of that for both 2012 and 2013, rewarding him for his good play, but not putting the team on the hook for a full $4 million in 2012.

In other news, I hear that with the new contract under his belt, Francoeur will have a newly found confidence entering next season, which should help with his plate discipline, allowing him to become the superstar we always knew he would be.

1. randall351 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I would of much rather preferred they did this for Melky.

2. skipperxc - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Of COURSE they do. The Jeff Francoeur inevitability train keeps chugging along, somehow.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Don’t forget he is also a clutch hitter.

4. ditto65 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:42 AM

We wouldn’t even be hearing about this if it wasn’t the Royals.

• ThatGuy - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Are you new? Francoeur could have signed a contract to be the mascot of the Hiroshima Toyo Carp and it would be top billing worthy to Craig.

• randall351 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Well he does have to keep the ratio of 2-3 small market posts for every 150 “east coast biased” posts, you know to appease those “little people”.

Also Craig is forever attached at the hip with Francouer because they have such a history, kind of like Facebook stalking your high school ex to see if she married that asshole she chose over you, and to make sure that they are living in a trailer park or other such squalor.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Um…you sound disturbingly well versed and bitter there.

It’s okay…it wasn’t you—it was her. It was nothing you did, she just changed is all…and she wanted to spare your feelings….

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM

Gentlemen…I believe he was being sarcastic..

• ditto65 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Give that man a cigar!

I know that Craig has a crush on Frenchie.

I also know that you MUST make some sort of Midwest bias crack every time there are more than one Royals posts in a week.

• ThatGuy - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Damn you internet and lack of a sarcasim font…
        Actually on second read, it was pretty obvious. Guess that’s what I get for commenting while filling out my TPS reports…

• ditto65 - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Damn TPS reports. ;-)

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:05 PM

You need more flair

• ThatGuy - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Hopefully I remembered the right cover page this time.

• ditto65 - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM

But I thought I was only required to have 15 pieces of flair?!

• Bryz - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM

How’s this for expressing myself, hmm?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM

The ratio of people to cake is too big. (Yes, even Mike Judge apparently thinks CAKE is better!!!!!!)

5. proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:44 AM

I know that the Royals have a lot of promising prospects; however, this signing seems to indicate that they do not have enough outfield prospects who are close to being major leaguers.

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Actually, Lorenzo Cain is in Omaha. He was apart of the Zack Greinke trade. Many fans had hoped he would be up by now. Many assumed Frenchy or Melky would be moved at the deadline to get Cain up to the big club.

If the contract money is what Craig indicates it’s a good deal for the Royals. As a Royals fan I’m happy with it. Although, like Randall said I would have preferred they sign Melky to an extension. They might still do that. But if it were an either or thing I would take Melky.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Thanks for the info on Cain.

6. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Everything is comin’ up Milhouse.

7. Jonny 5 - Aug 18, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I picture you typing this while pinching your nose to keep from puking all over your keyboard.

8. missthedayswhenwedidnthavetologin - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Bah, as soon as I saw it on MLBTRADERUMORS.COM, I had to head over here to hear Calcaterra shit on KC uppermanagement, and now you decide not to?!!?

- The Comment Section Heel

9. 18thstreet - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM

If not for Craig, I’m not sure I would know who Jeff Francoeur is. I love the Internet.

10. adenzeno - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

If they are smart, they trade him now while they can get something for him

• paperlions - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:14 PM

They can’t get anything for him now….no one will trade for that contract.

11. Tyree Studio - Aug 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Besides Cain in Omaha, KC is not exactly rich with OF prospects. Myers is having a terrible season in AA and Bubba is years away…so this deal with Frenchy makes sense I guess. His numbers this year are not “horrible”…wish I could say the same about KC’s starting pitchers.

12. ThatGuy - Aug 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM

From Kieth Law’s chat today going on right now:

Dave (Basking Ridge, NJ)
    What’s your reaction to the Francoeur contract extension?

Klaw (1:21 PM)
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

13. nategearhart - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:02 PM

$13.5 million?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
    F you in the A, GMDM. F you in the A.

14. randall351 - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

What a horrible deal!! I was thinking like 7.5 million for 2 years, this totally negates any good will that DMGM had when he got rid of Aviles and Davies. What a maroon!!

15. Ari Collins - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:07 PM

So since they could have just picked him up for $4M, they’re basically signing him for $9.5M for 2013?

16. paperlions - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:15 PM

There are 25 everyday RF in MLB, Frenchie ranks in the bottom half (usually in the bottom 1/4) in every meaningful offensive category (including base running), but he is in the top 1/3 in defense. And this is while having his best year BY FAR since 2007, at best they are getting a below average RF for the next 2 years…more than likely, they are getting much less than that.

17. The Dangerous Mabry - Aug 18, 2011 at 2:34 PM

That photo they picked couldn’t be more amusing. Classic frenchy.

18. rhandome - Aug 18, 2011 at 5:42 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhhhhh

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3409)