Aug 18, 2011, 9:23 AM EDT
No, this isn’t a big story, and no it’s not surprising at all. Shin-Soo Choo is coming back, a roster spot is needed and Kearns — who is hitting .200/.302/.287 — is the dictionary definition of expendable, so he’s gone.
But it is notable for one reason. For years Kearns was always such a saber-boy darling, with so many — myself included — figuring that his plate patience and skills would turn him into a star. It never happened, for a number of reasons.
I am still and always will be partial to the saber-boy thinking, but I think Kearns — and Jack Cust and some others — are good reminders that, at least a few years ago, there was a habit of going a bit too crazy about players with certain skill sets at a young age. I think the people who seriously evaluate young talent with a sabermetric bent — Keith Law, Kevin Goldstein, etc. — have long since abandoned such credulity even if they ever truly had it, but a lot of us dilettantes haven’t, even if we’re better about it than we were in 2004.
Just a quasi-deep thought for a Thursday morning.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?