Aug 18, 2011, 10:11 PM EST
Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson (shoulder inflammation) was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to August 7, so he is eligible to be activated early next week — Monday, to be exact.
But that’s probably not going to happen.
According to Mark Bowman and Chris Cox of MLB.com, Hanson’s sore right shoulder has not made enough progress to this point and the 24-year-old is likely to remain sidelined until the last week of August. He’s throwing, but he is not close to beginning a minor league rehab assignment.
Here’s the young Atlanta ace, addressing his ongoing recovery Thursday in a conversation with reporters:
“I threw today and it all feels good,” Hanson said. “I think we’re just kind of going day by day right now and making sure everything is fine. It felt great today. Each day just gradually do a little more and more and try to build up to get ready to pitch. I want to get back out there as soon as possible. But I don’t want to rush it, go back out there too soon and have something bother me again. Or go out there too soon and not help us win when somebody else can.”
Hanson has posted a fantastic 3.60 ERA and 142 strikeouts through 130 innings this year, but his July ERA was 4.58 and he allowed seven runs on eight hits in his only August start. The extra rest should help.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)