Aug 18, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson (shoulder inflammation) was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to August 7, so he is eligible to be activated early next week — Monday, to be exact.
But that’s probably not going to happen.
According to Mark Bowman and Chris Cox of MLB.com, Hanson’s sore right shoulder has not made enough progress to this point and the 24-year-old is likely to remain sidelined until the last week of August. He’s throwing, but he is not close to beginning a minor league rehab assignment.
Here’s the young Atlanta ace, addressing his ongoing recovery Thursday in a conversation with reporters:
“I threw today and it all feels good,” Hanson said. “I think we’re just kind of going day by day right now and making sure everything is fine. It felt great today. Each day just gradually do a little more and more and try to build up to get ready to pitch. I want to get back out there as soon as possible. But I don’t want to rush it, go back out there too soon and have something bother me again. Or go out there too soon and not help us win when somebody else can.”
Hanson has posted a fantastic 3.60 ERA and 142 strikeouts through 130 innings this year, but his July ERA was 4.58 and he allowed seven runs on eight hits in his only August start. The extra rest should help.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)