Aug 18, 2011, 10:11 PM EDT
Braves right-hander Tommy Hanson (shoulder inflammation) was placed on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to August 7, so he is eligible to be activated early next week — Monday, to be exact.
But that’s probably not going to happen.
According to Mark Bowman and Chris Cox of MLB.com, Hanson’s sore right shoulder has not made enough progress to this point and the 24-year-old is likely to remain sidelined until the last week of August. He’s throwing, but he is not close to beginning a minor league rehab assignment.
Here’s the young Atlanta ace, addressing his ongoing recovery Thursday in a conversation with reporters:
“I threw today and it all feels good,” Hanson said. “I think we’re just kind of going day by day right now and making sure everything is fine. It felt great today. Each day just gradually do a little more and more and try to build up to get ready to pitch. I want to get back out there as soon as possible. But I don’t want to rush it, go back out there too soon and have something bother me again. Or go out there too soon and not help us win when somebody else can.”
Hanson has posted a fantastic 3.60 ERA and 142 strikeouts through 130 innings this year, but his July ERA was 4.58 and he allowed seven runs on eight hits in his only August start. The extra rest should help.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)