Aug 19, 2011, 9:17 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez had a successful workout before tonight’s game against the Twins, but Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com that he is “leaning against” activating him from the disabled list tomorrow.
Instead, they could wait until Sunday’s series finale against the Twins or even Tuesday, when they return home to play the Athletics.
“He felt much better today than he did yesterday,” Girardi said. “We felt he definitely wasn’t ready to play yesterday and that’s why we wanted to go through today. And he knew he wasn’t ready yesterday. But he felt a lot better about today’s workout. I think it’s important to see how he feels later, because today was more intense than yesterday, and see how he recovers. As far as activating him tomorrow, I don’t know.”
Rodriguez, who is making his way back from knee surgery, said today’s workout was “very encouraging” and that he is “definitely not counting this weekend out.” The veteran third baseman is scheduled to work out again tomorrow before being reevaluated.
Of course, the Yankees can afford to be extra cautious here since they are virtually assured of a playoff spot. Imagine if they were playing in games that actually meant something?
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (103)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)