Aug 19, 2011, 5:42 AM EDT
Angels 2, Rangers 1: Mark Trumbo hits a walkoff homer off Mike Adams to help Anaheim salvage one in what was still a disappointing four-game set. They trailed the Rangers by just 1½ games early last week and now it’s six. Oh, and Jered Weaver, while pitching well, still managed to get visibly annoyed at his own shortstop for missing a popup and then jawed at the Rangers dugout after Mike Napoli hit a home run. Such a mature young man this Weaver is turning out to be.
Braves 1, Giants 0: Mike Minor and Tim Lincecum were each fantastic, but Lincecum left one out over the plate to Chipper Jones in the fifth inning. Turned out one mistake was the difference. Viva New Deadball Era.
Phillies 4, Diamondbacks 1: Rain turned this from a battle between Ian Kennedy and Vance Worley into a battle between Micah Owings and David Herndon. Thing was, Kennedy was in long enough to dig a hole and Herndon and the rest of the Phillies pen wasn’t very generous to the Dbacks in return. A two-run homer for John Mayberry, Jr.
Yankees 8, Twins 4: Nine strikeouts for CC Sabathia and homers from Mark Teixeira, Nick Swisher and Andruw Jones. Joe Mauer played right field, which was fun. And this nugget from the game story was even more fun: “The outfield of Rene Tosoni, Ben Revere and Mauer has four homers combined this season, compared to 34 for Curtis Granderson of the Yankees.”
Indians 4, White Sox 2: The Tribe leaves for Detroit on a positive note. Even more positive: they don’t have to face Justin Verlander this weekend. Pretty critical series ahead. And speaking of heads …
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 11
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)