Barry Bonds to confront a Bonds hater on some TV show

Aug 19, 2011, 2:33 PM EDT

Closing Arguments Delivered In Barry Bonds Trial Getty Images

I really don’t watch much TV these days. When I do watch TV it’s usually an entire series at a time on Netflix or something like “Battlestar Galactica,” or “Pushing Daisies” or something. The only shows I actually watch as they’re being broadcast anymore are “Breaking Bad” and “Archer,” and those are on so rarely that I go months without watching stuff other than ballgames.

So, no, I was unaware that Mario Lopez hosts some show on some off-brand network* in which celebrities confront people who hate them.  But I now know that Barry Bonds — who is described a friend of Lopez’s, which is just kind of weird when you think about it — will be making an appearance:

Barry Bonds will try to rehabilitate his tarnished image by confronting a fan who hates him on the upcoming reality show “H8R.”

On the show, the MLB home-run king will watch a tape of one of his biggest detractors chewing him out, and then confront his “H8R” — who won’t know the slugger has been watching him — face-to-face.

It’ll be up to Bonds to convince the guy that he isn’t so bad, after all.

OK.  I’m not sure what this accomplishes in the grand scheme of things other than to cement the fact that the Republic is in its death throes, but OK.

Next up after Bonds: the entire fan base of the Phillies trying to make their case, with me being the guy on the tape.

*OK, cheap shot. I mean, I work for NBC, and it’s not like we’re living in the days of Cosby-Family Ties-Cheers-Night Court-LA Law anymore ourselves. Still, the highest rated show on the CW is that crap my wife watches with handsome vampires and some girl who looks perpetually confused.  No, you’re thinking of the other one.  No, not that one either, the other other one about handsome vampires and a perpetually-confused girl.  Oh, never mind.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM

You should watch “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia”. Quality program.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I can’t wait. This will be a great show. Show’s the stupidity of the American public to watch this crap.

• nixonotis - Aug 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM

When in you insult the whole of America, it’s a good idea to make sure all of your sentences are grammatically correct.

3. SmackSaw - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM

You can’t wait to watch the show so it’ll show the stupidity of the American public to watch crap?

Are you saying you’re stupid?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

It’s called sarcasm, asshole. It’s as plain as day. Go away. You talk nothing about baseball. Ever.

• Alex K - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:55 PM

It wasn’t actually all that clear that was sarcasm, FYI.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:00 PM

Alex K,

Butt out. SmackSaw is a bastard that I have dealt with in the past. He likes to respond with my posts with BS putdowns. Since there is no moderator, I will respond accordingly.

Thank you very little, Alex.

• cur68 - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Well my sarcasm meter has been glitching since the Trudeau Administration. I thought HB’s comment was irony. But then I think everything’s irony. Like a really rich guy caring what some random douche thinks of him. That’s irony to me.

• paperlions - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Cur, I am always tempted to respond to your posts and call you “guy”, “friend”, or “buddy”, in hopes of generating a “I’m not your buddy, friend”, “I’m not your friend, guy”, I’m not your guy, buddy” loop.

[but instead just decided to do it myself]

• Alex K - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Woah, Jim. I didn’t know there was any type of tiff between you and he, so I thought I would throw it out there that I didn’t catch the sarcasm. There was no need for you to revert back to your “Bicepts” days and be a total asshole to me. Chill out.

• cur68 - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM

‘Lions: “I am serious and don’t call me ‘Shirley’.”

• Mario Lopez - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Hey halladaysbiceps, it’s me, Mario Lopez. You may know me as A.C. Slater from Saved by the Bell, Saved by the Bell: Hawaiian Style, Saved by the Bell: The College Years, and Saved by the Bell: Wedding in Las Vegas, or as the voice of Zeus the Dog in ABC Family’s The Dog Who Saved Christmas. Well now I’m hosting a new reality series called H8R and I’d love for you to come on in Episode 2 to confront SmackSaw who you clearly H8.

And then I’d like to invite you back for Episodes 3 through 427 so all the other HBT commenters that H8 you can confront you.

4. SmackSaw - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:48 PM

On topic, I bet the hater won’t recognize Bonds. Dudes completely regressed physically.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Laying off the roids will do that.

• randomdigits - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Yeah, lack of roids caused tony Gwynn to put on 100 pounds.

Retired athletes get old and quit working out. Mark Schlereth is down to 205 pounds and he was 300 with the Skins. Never heard his name in conjunction with steroids.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Umm ok. Thanks for sharing. Because those who quit steroids don’t pack on an excessive amount of weight. You know when that artificially gained muscle mass turns to fat.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:27 PM

I actually just read your comment more closely…it makes no sense. Who the hell is talking about Mark Schlereth’s exercise program? And what relevance does that have to Barry Bonds turning into marshmellow? Also, Tony Gwynn was also a tad on the heavy side so it is not surprise that he ballooned up. Are you trying to imply that Bonds was not a steroid abuser? Your comment is just perplexing.

• randomdigits - Aug 19, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Its simple enough. Retired players stop staying in “game shape”. In some cases it can result in rapid and extreme weight gain and in others the players can lose a lot of mass that they no longer need.

I was showing that extreme changes in physicality are not simply caused by the player no longer using steroids.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Fair enough and in most cases you are probably right….I think in this case something extra might be in play.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:51 PM

You regress all the time, dumbass. That’s calling an ace an ace. Your no better than dirtyharry1971 or cup0pizza.

• SmackSaw - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:54 PM

My no better than dirtyharry1971 what?

Oh,

Your = You’re in HB speak

5. shmed105 - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Looked like sarcasm to me.

6. Lincoln93 - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Another Archer fan?

RAMPAGE!!!

• schrutebeetfarms - Aug 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Another? I assumed this would be the first one.

7. sdelmonte - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM

The CW has Supernatural. Which is usually totally vampire free. And the only confused people are two brothers from Kansas.

8. metalhead65 - Aug 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

you want to watch quality tv then you should watch Sons Of Anarchy and Justified instead watching/promoting garbage. but I forgot it features your innocent idol doesn’t it? spare me the legal crap anybody with any sense knows he was on roids end of story. it is to late for him to rehab his image unless he comes out and just admits it already and even then he won’t change my mind about him. he was always a jerk but he was a great ball player before he roided up to break the record. which still belongs to Hank Aaron and Roger Maris in my book.

9. jonirocit - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM

Ohh wow Mario Lopez post on here ? I gotta pay more attention to this site

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3742)