Aug 19, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
I can’t wait until the playoffs start. Excitement! High stakes! Commercials that get run into the ground!
I doubt we’ll ever see anything as glorious as “her father is the district attorney!” again, but in recent years we have certainly gotten our fair share of MLB-produced promos that seek to brand the playoffs. This years theme: “Legends are born in October“: The link goes to a video. Here’s the upshot:
The campaign will feature the hit song “Written in the Stars” by Tinie Tempah as the backdrop to signature Postseason highlights and memorable moments from the 2011 season. The Postseason heroics of Derek Jeter, Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, David Ortiz, Brian Wilson, Aaron Boone, Mariano Rivera, Luis Gonzalez and many more will be featured in the campaign.
Oh, so it won’t be a literal thing about legends actually being born in October. Because, you know. John Lackey was born on October 23rd, and I really don’t think that’s what the folks at MLB are going for.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 20
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)