Aug 19, 2011, 3:03 PM EDT
I can’t wait until the playoffs start. Excitement! High stakes! Commercials that get run into the ground!
I doubt we’ll ever see anything as glorious as “her father is the district attorney!” again, but in recent years we have certainly gotten our fair share of MLB-produced promos that seek to brand the playoffs. This years theme: “Legends are born in October“: The link goes to a video. Here’s the upshot:
The campaign will feature the hit song “Written in the Stars” by Tinie Tempah as the backdrop to signature Postseason highlights and memorable moments from the 2011 season. The Postseason heroics of Derek Jeter, Albert Pujols, Roy Halladay, David Ortiz, Brian Wilson, Aaron Boone, Mariano Rivera, Luis Gonzalez and many more will be featured in the campaign.
Oh, so it won’t be a literal thing about legends actually being born in October. Because, you know. John Lackey was born on October 23rd, and I really don’t think that’s what the folks at MLB are going for.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)