Aug 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Brian Wilson was unavailable yesterday for the second straight game because of elbow inflammation and Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the Giants’ closer is unlikely to pitch again before Monday.
That’s the bad news. The good news is that Wilson has avoided the disabled list so far and Dr. James Andrews advised against surgery after finding no structural damage during an exam Wednesday.
Giants trainer Dave Groeschner noted that Wilson “has a remarkable ability to recover” and described his elbow problems as “the typical pitching stuff that you see all the time.”
Wilson has been plenty effective this season, but his performance has dropped off considerably compared to last year. Not only has his ERA risen from 1.81 to 3.19, his strikeouts are down 22 percent, his walks are up 65 percent, and his average fastball velocity is 1.5 miles per hour slower.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 62
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 120
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 78
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)