Aug 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Brian Wilson was unavailable yesterday for the second straight game because of elbow inflammation and Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the Giants’ closer is unlikely to pitch again before Monday.
That’s the bad news. The good news is that Wilson has avoided the disabled list so far and Dr. James Andrews advised against surgery after finding no structural damage during an exam Wednesday.
Giants trainer Dave Groeschner noted that Wilson “has a remarkable ability to recover” and described his elbow problems as “the typical pitching stuff that you see all the time.”
Wilson has been plenty effective this season, but his performance has dropped off considerably compared to last year. Not only has his ERA risen from 1.81 to 3.19, his strikeouts are down 22 percent, his walks are up 65 percent, and his average fastball velocity is 1.5 miles per hour slower.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 19
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)