Aug 19, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Brian Wilson was unavailable yesterday for the second straight game because of elbow inflammation and Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News writes that the Giants’ closer is unlikely to pitch again before Monday.
That’s the bad news. The good news is that Wilson has avoided the disabled list so far and Dr. James Andrews advised against surgery after finding no structural damage during an exam Wednesday.
Giants trainer Dave Groeschner noted that Wilson “has a remarkable ability to recover” and described his elbow problems as “the typical pitching stuff that you see all the time.”
Wilson has been plenty effective this season, but his performance has dropped off considerably compared to last year. Not only has his ERA risen from 1.81 to 3.19, his strikeouts are down 22 percent, his walks are up 65 percent, and his average fastball velocity is 1.5 miles per hour slower.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)