Aug 19, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
Davis was acquired from the Rangers in the Koji Uehara trade last month, but went just 9-for-40 (.225) with 14 strikeouts in 10 games before being shut down on August 14.
He initially attributed the soreness to sleeping on the shoulder wrong, but an MRI exam revealed rotator cuff and labrum damage and he was placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Mark Reynolds has moved across the diamond from third base to first base in Davis’ absence, with Josh Bell taking over at third base. And surgery or not, Davis seems unlikely to play again this season.
- Report: Mariners break off talks with Robinson Cano after Jay Z “overplayed his hand” 0
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 86
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)