Aug 19, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Davis was acquired from the Rangers in the Koji Uehara trade last month, but went just 9-for-40 (.225) with 14 strikeouts in 10 games before being shut down on August 14.
He initially attributed the soreness to sleeping on the shoulder wrong, but an MRI exam revealed rotator cuff and labrum damage and he was placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Mark Reynolds has moved across the diamond from third base to first base in Davis’ absence, with Josh Bell taking over at third base. And surgery or not, Davis seems unlikely to play again this season.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 0
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 31
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 23
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 140
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 135
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (140)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (138)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)