Aug 19, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Davis was acquired from the Rangers in the Koji Uehara trade last month, but went just 9-for-40 (.225) with 14 strikeouts in 10 games before being shut down on August 14.
He initially attributed the soreness to sleeping on the shoulder wrong, but an MRI exam revealed rotator cuff and labrum damage and he was placed on the disabled list Tuesday.
Mark Reynolds has moved across the diamond from third base to first base in Davis’ absence, with Josh Bell taking over at third base. And surgery or not, Davis seems unlikely to play again this season.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead