Cole Hamels is “progressing really well” and “on course” to start next week

Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies starting pitcher Cole Hamels delivers a pitch to the Los Angeles Dodgers during the first inning of their National League MLB baseball game in Philadelphia

Cole Hamels was scratched from his scheduled start this week because of shoulder inflammation, but Todd Zolecki of MLB.com reports that “he remains on course to rejoin the rotation next week.”

Hamels will have to throw a problem-free bullpen session first, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. noted that “he’s been progressing really well.”

Hamels needing just one rotation turn off would obviously be excellent news for the Phillies, but given their lock on a playoff spot and the diminished velocity he showed last time out it might not be the worst idea in the world to give him some extra time off just in case.

Whether he rejoins the rotation next week or in two weeks, their primary goal should be having him at full strength for October.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

The way the Phillies have been with regards to giving out injury information, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him out a month…see Madson, Polanco, Oswalt, etc.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Blanton, Lidge, Contreas

• bigxrob - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Utley, Rollins, Victorino

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

I expect that by the end of the day there could be a hundred posts under this thread, unless there is a subsequent post about the Phillies.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:21 AM

Silly rabbit, we don’t need a subsequent post about the Phillies to keep commenting about the Phillies, we just work them in any way we can.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Like there needs to be a grain of reference to anything remotely close to an idea of a Phillies comment….

3. Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM

Now how the hell did that reply get all italicky and stuff?

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:41 AM

I may have stumbled into a way of accidentally mucking up the page with a comment…

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Now, if only you could stumble upon a way to add an edit button, get rid of trolls and make every post Phightins centric…um…”accidentally” as you said…yeah…that’s right…”accidentally”…:P

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM

I should have listened to my Uncle when he was yacking about great power and great responsibility, but I wasn’t paying too much attention.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Even the left side is all italics-y!!!

5. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:50 AM

This is crazy. Are you some kind of computer wizard, FC?

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

computer geek, wizard implies magic. Although we all know that any sufficiently advanced technology might as well as be magic.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

So it is only from FC’s initial comment down?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

And noooowww…it’s all gone. And our comments look idiotic. Or at least more than usual.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:58 AM

True, our usual Idiocy is at least baseball related.

6. Jonny 5 - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:59 AM

So the Peyote finally wore off guys?? Glad to see that.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Actually I have copies of the source files of this page, before, during and after (I was intrigued by the minor fubar). My original comment spawning the Italics manifesto has a different tag now, the emphasis tag.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Anybody notice how the number of posts on the Howard thread keeps creeping up?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, I’ve definitely noticed that. I stopped adding to it a few days ago. Also, I was reading an article written by somebody named AJ Campbell earlier this morning going over under/over rated players. Of course, he predicted at the start of the season that Howard was over rated and is using this season to pat himself on the back. I didn’t have the energy to reply to his article and spawn a debate.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I’ve noticed, but I haven’t looked at it. Waste of time. The point of diminishing returns was reached a loooooong time ago on that thread.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Testing to see whether you did it again….

And totally not worth it to fight Howard’s Haters.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:32 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! FC, you do that italicky voodoo that you do so well!!!!

7. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I’d ask you how to do it but I wouldn’t understand a word of it.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:38 PM

I could tell you but then I’m sure Craig would ban me.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Well we don’t want that so I will just assume it was some type of voodoo magic trick.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win