Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Hamels will have to throw a problem-free bullpen session first, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. noted that “he’s been progressing really well.”
Hamels needing just one rotation turn off would obviously be excellent news for the Phillies, but given their lock on a playoff spot and the diminished velocity he showed last time out it might not be the worst idea in the world to give him some extra time off just in case.
Whether he rejoins the rotation next week or in two weeks, their primary goal should be having him at full strength for October.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)