Aug 19, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Hamels will have to throw a problem-free bullpen session first, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. noted that “he’s been progressing really well.”
Hamels needing just one rotation turn off would obviously be excellent news for the Phillies, but given their lock on a playoff spot and the diminished velocity he showed last time out it might not be the worst idea in the world to give him some extra time off just in case.
Whether he rejoins the rotation next week or in two weeks, their primary goal should be having him at full strength for October.
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Chargers ink Freeney for 2 years, $8.5 million
- PFT: Teammate says Titus Young opened up to him