Great moments in optimism, Angels edition

Aug 19, 2011, 1:03 PM EDT

Jered Weaver

Sam Miller writes about the Angels for the OC Register. So he certainly got to see the Halos woof three of four to the Rangers this week and has watched their playoff hopes fall off a cliff since there were only a game and a half back last week.

But he is not one to despair!

Today he has a list of the six reasons why the Angels will win the division.  Reasons like this:

The Angels have about a 6 percent chance of making the playoffs, which is just terrible. But you know what 6 percent is? It’s flipping heads four times in a row. That sounds easy enough. Even Vernon Wells could do that! Even Jeff Mathis could do that, but then he’d probably throw the coin into center field.

Well, maybe not all of the reasons are to be taken totally seriously. And it’s probably worth noting that there are only four reasons, not six.  But still, given how often you hear people complaining about their team’s chances this time of year, it’s refreshing to see some friggin’ optimism, even if it’s unhinged, borderline anti-optimism, for a change.

1. SmackSaw - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM

It would take a total Texas collapse. I don’t think the Rangers pitching will allow that. They’re way too deep. The Angel offense shows no sign of waking up from a year long slump. They don’t have the high contact speed lineup that they used to have. It’s over.

By the way, I’m a 35 year Angel fan. I’m no hater. I’m a realist.

2. jimatkins - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Winning (when we do win) 2-1 is not a good sign. Too many sleeping bats on this team to make a serious run at Texas. Barring a total Rangers smoking-crater-level collapse, there is no chance of winning the division. Wells sucks, Mathis is so far beyond suckage it’s a completely different space-time suckage contimuum. We need wholesale changes in Anaheim to contend again, and having Big Vernon vacuuming out Arte’s pockets to bat .210 is precluding any possibility of dealing for a real slugger.
    Oh- I’m only a 33 year Angels fan so SmackSaw’s opinion is worth a little more than mine, but I agree with him.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Barring a total Rangers smoking-crater-level collapse

More like barring an Extinction Event, it can’t be just ANY crater…

3. SmackSaw - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:32 PM

True! He has no business in a major league uniform!

4. dailyrev - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:43 PM

think they’ve got 6 head-to-head but more important than that is TX’s schedule otherwise — I believe they have 7G left v. Boston, who are not likely to remain in an offensive swoon for long. But yeah, I watched that LAA-TX series and was amazed by how inept LA is defensively. I knew they weren’t an offensive juggernaut, but had no idea how brutal their infield defense is. So based on what I saw, 6 percent seems optimistic…

5. aaronmoreno - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Sam Miller is really a fun columnist. He’s been putting up good stuff at BP.

6. mordecofe - Aug 19, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Unfortunately, he also says stuff like this (via Twitter):

Call me crazy, but I’d rather have Wells than Trout for the next six weeks.

7. JBerardi - Aug 20, 2011 at 7:46 PM

Vernon Wells has a .234 OBP, which is just astonishing. Franchise-crushing trade right there.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3682)