Aug 19, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis was slated to return from a strained oblique muscle yesterday, but instead he was a last-minute scratch from the lineup and the Indians have now placed him on the disabled list.
Called up from Triple-A on July 22, the 2009 second-round pick hit .279 with six homers, four doubles, and a .903 OPS through 18 games before suffering the injury on August 12.
Jason Donald started at second base in Kipnis’ absence yesterday, but the Indians have called up Luis Valbuena from Triple-A and are giving him the start there today.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)