Aug 19, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis was slated to return from a strained oblique muscle yesterday, but instead he was a last-minute scratch from the lineup and the Indians have now placed him on the disabled list.
Called up from Triple-A on July 22, the 2009 second-round pick hit .279 with six homers, four doubles, and a .903 OPS through 18 games before suffering the injury on August 12.
Jason Donald started at second base in Kipnis’ absence yesterday, but the Indians have called up Luis Valbuena from Triple-A and are giving him the start there today.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)