Aug 19, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis was slated to return from a strained oblique muscle yesterday, but instead he was a last-minute scratch from the lineup and the Indians have now placed him on the disabled list.
Called up from Triple-A on July 22, the 2009 second-round pick hit .279 with six homers, four doubles, and a .903 OPS through 18 games before suffering the injury on August 12.
Jason Donald started at second base in Kipnis’ absence yesterday, but the Indians have called up Luis Valbuena from Triple-A and are giving him the start there today.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)