Aug 19, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis was slated to return from a strained oblique muscle yesterday, but instead he was a last-minute scratch from the lineup and the Indians have now placed him on the disabled list.
Called up from Triple-A on July 22, the 2009 second-round pick hit .279 with six homers, four doubles, and a .903 OPS through 18 games before suffering the injury on August 12.
Jason Donald started at second base in Kipnis’ absence yesterday, but the Indians have called up Luis Valbuena from Triple-A and are giving him the start there today.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)