Aug 19, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Jason Kipnis was slated to return from a strained oblique muscle yesterday, but instead he was a last-minute scratch from the lineup and the Indians have now placed him on the disabled list.
Called up from Triple-A on July 22, the 2009 second-round pick hit .279 with six homers, four doubles, and a .903 OPS through 18 games before suffering the injury on August 12.
Jason Donald started at second base in Kipnis’ absence yesterday, but the Indians have called up Luis Valbuena from Triple-A and are giving him the start there today.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)