Jerry Reinsdorf unsure if expanded playoffs, realignment is going to happen

Aug 19, 2011, 8:50 AM EDT

Reinsdorf, chairman of MLB team Chicago White Sox and NBA basketball team Chicago Bulls, smiles as he participates at the 2010 Milken Institute Global Conference in Beverly Hills

We’ve spent a lot of time this spring and summer talking about realignment and the expansion of the playoffs, but at the owners’ meetings the other day, White Sox honcho Jerry Reinsdorf voiced skepticism that either of those things would happen:

“I’m not sure I’m in favor of the expanded playoffs. If it happens, I don’t think it will take place in 2012. I’m not even sure there will be realignment.”

Interesting words from a guy who, by all accounts, is Bud Selig’s staunchest ally among owners and who is thought to wield a lot of whip-power among the ownership ranks.  Especially interesting in that, in the same USA Today article by Bob Nightengale, multiple other owners are cited as being so supportive of the expanded playoffs.

As for the realignment, the Astros sale being on hold has really bollocksed things up. If Jim Crane is on board with moving Houston to the AL as has been suggested, he can’t do it from the outside. And no one else seems to want to move.

1. Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM

White Sox fans unsure if a well-funded draft budget is ever going to happen.

2. heyblueyoustink - Aug 19, 2011 at 8:58 AM

He’s also not sure if there’s a salad in his future.

3. Old Gator - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:11 AM

Expanded playoffs only with a commensurate shortening of the season – or, at least, a number of regularly scheduled doubleheaders (remember those?) to eat up days. No one wants to play November baseball. No one want to play October baseball in the snow, either. Unless the sasquatch have become baseball fans while the Rugby Leagues weren’t looking.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:28 AM

I guess that the snow games will have to be played in Toronto with the roof closed.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I agree with that. If they want to add a Wild Card 3-game playoff, that would be fine because it gives the division winners a chance to rest their starters for the start of the NLDS. But they would have to add 4 or 5 Doubleheaders so that the season ends on time. I don’t want November baseball either, having frozen my a$$ off during the 2008 World Series.

• Old Gator - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:10 AM

I sympathize. It got down into the high 70s one night during the 2003 series at what was then the stadium formerly known as Joe Robbie. A few degrees less and I would have had to wear socks.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Oh god OG, low 70s? How ever did you manage? :)

• chisoxpurdue - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:37 AM

Well this year, the World Series is actually scheduled to end in October (27th). The only expanded playoffs I support is the single game wild card preview.

4. stackers1 - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Old Gator kills me. I choked up half my hamburger deluxe.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3492)