Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT
So much for that vote of confidence last week, huh?
Jim Hendry has been fired as the Cubs general manager, reports David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. The termination is effective immediately. Kaplan reports that Hendry is currently meeting with the Cubs in the clubhouse, presumably being thanked by the players for all of those ridiculous contracts he handed out like so much candy. Randy Bush is the interim GM.
Hendry has been on board since 2002. It has been a surprisingly long tenure for someone with such a poor track record. The Cubs under his watch managed a decent season here or there, but they are currently hamstrung by bad contracts and poor roster construction. With $30 million coming off the payroll after this season, it’s a fine time to give someone else a shot. And that’s what Tom Ricketts is doing.
UPDATE: Hendry is currently speaking to the press, which you can see at CSNChicago.com. Some crazy stuff going down. Hendry says that he was actually fired on July 22nd, but that he was held on to get through the trade deadline and the signing of draft picks. If you’ll recall, the Cubs had a profoundly quiet deadline, moving no one of the many players many of us thought they would or at least should move. Hendry just touched on that saying that “those moves are for the next guy.” Certainly explains a lot.
Also worth noting that Hendry is really, really emotional, crying through the presser. Ugh. I know a lot of Cubs fans were waiting for this day, but there isn’t much joy to be had here.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 11
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)