Aug 19, 2011, 11:24 AM EDT
So much for that vote of confidence last week, huh?
Jim Hendry has been fired as the Cubs general manager, reports David Kaplan of CSNChicago.com. The termination is effective immediately. Kaplan reports that Hendry is currently meeting with the Cubs in the clubhouse, presumably being thanked by the players for all of those ridiculous contracts he handed out like so much candy. Randy Bush is the interim GM.
Hendry has been on board since 2002. It has been a surprisingly long tenure for someone with such a poor track record. The Cubs under his watch managed a decent season here or there, but they are currently hamstrung by bad contracts and poor roster construction. With $30 million coming off the payroll after this season, it’s a fine time to give someone else a shot. And that’s what Tom Ricketts is doing.
UPDATE: Hendry is currently speaking to the press, which you can see at CSNChicago.com. Some crazy stuff going down. Hendry says that he was actually fired on July 22nd, but that he was held on to get through the trade deadline and the signing of draft picks. If you’ll recall, the Cubs had a profoundly quiet deadline, moving no one of the many players many of us thought they would or at least should move. Hendry just touched on that saying that “those moves are for the next guy.” Certainly explains a lot.
Also worth noting that Hendry is really, really emotional, crying through the presser. Ugh. I know a lot of Cubs fans were waiting for this day, but there isn’t much joy to be had here.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 9
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 87
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 63
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (96)