Mets drop to 14th in overall attendance; on pace for worst year since 2004

Aug 19, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT

Citi Field

Kaja Whitehouse of the New York Post reports the Mets are suffering from an eight percent decline in home attendance and have dropped to 14th place in baseball’s average attendance standings.   Average attendance this year is 30,891. That’s the lowest per-game average since 2004.

On the one hand, if you look at the Mets historic attendance figures, they seem to hew pretty closely to the classic “when they win, people show up, when they don’t, people don’t” formula, which you would expect from a city with a highly-sophisticated fan base and other entertainment options like New York.

On the other hand, I’m sure that we can somehow blame Carlos Beltran for this. I mean, he’s already perpetrated so much evil, this has to be something he has his hands in, no?

1. Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Craig, enough with you and your anti-Mets bias. There’s nothing wrong with their attendance! They’re only down a little bit from last season, and the fact that they’re down a lot from ’08-’09 is completely and utterly irrelevant!

• Craig Calcaterra - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM

I see what you did there.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM

If you are going to talk about attendance, couldn’t you at least mention that the Phillies are first and have 180+ sell-outs in a row? Don’t be a hater.

• kopy - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

You should ask Kaja Whitehouse of the New York Post why she didn’t write about the Phillies.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Nah, because not having a frame of reference, she might actually think I was serious.

• Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM

You weren’t?

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM

LOL Screw you guys :D

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM

We really need a sarcastic font or sarcasm mark of some sort.

• paperlions - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:11 PM

Chris, I admit, I wasn’t sure if you were serious or not either….the saccharine way you guys talk about the Phillies and Philly makes it pretty hard to distinguish sarcasm from genuine delusion sometimes. Having said that….and now knowing that it was sarcasm…that was really damned funny.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Usually, the Philly connection grows though…it isn’t usually just thrown in there like that. We’ll see something like “Hey the Brewers are hot right now” Then I’ll say “Yeah but their Road Record sucks” And then a Brewers fan will come back with “September 8-11 baby!!! We’re going to win 3 of 4 from the Phillies” And then it turns into 100 comments on why the Phillies are better than the Brew Crew.

In this case, I just threw it out there on the first comment. I was kidding, but I guess I need to be REALLY ridiculous, instead of just my usual semi-ridiculous, to get across the point that I was being sarcastic. Oh well.

• kopy - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yeah, knowing you were joking, I look like an ass. But I thought you were being genuinely serious as well.

• Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 3:17 PM

Am I the only one who knew Chris was joking and just decided to bust his balls instead?

• cur68 - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:16 AM

You forgot the “LOL” before your comment, Kevin. In fact, to be properly “in character” you now have to hang ’round this thread all day, long after most have given up in disgust with you, and refute each and every statement that potentially disagrees with you in exacting detail. Hope Fred pays you well for this stuff because I don’t see how you get anything done in your “law practice”. Or is “biochemistry professorship”? Well, whatever. Just leave your self some time for your bloomberg update. Or something.

2. yankeesfanlen - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:29 AM

I would call it “Metropolitan Malaise”:. The once pround and hopeful fans in Blue and Orange now run around with eyeglasses, big noses and mustaches ala Groucho.
    And the Omar & Jerry circus was much more amusing.

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Give them time, Alderson has to undo Minaya’s “work” first before building something better, right Yogi?

Yogi: He’s smaaaaarter than the average GM…

• Old Gator - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Complicated somewhat by Jean-Luc swooping by to steal the Wilpons’ pik-i-nik baskit….

• FC - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

It’s tough to prevent that when the thief has an instant matter-transportation device at his disposal.

3. gnyj85 - Aug 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM

This is the best time of the year to get tickets in seats you wouldnt normally splurge on. Take advantage of it and sit in different areas of the ballpark. I got tix in Pepsi Porch, Lower Level, Front Row over the LF Wall..each for $35 or less…If it wasnt for parking and bridge tolls I’d go every home game. Even though the Mets are not in contention, this is still a pretty exciting team to watch.

• gammagammahey - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM

I agree, mostly. It’s still a great ballpark and a ballgame is still a ballgame. There have been a couple of games though that I’ve gone to this year where I look at that lineup on the scoreboard and just have to shake my head.

• Alex K - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

Take the train. The you have no tolls or parking.

4. hughhansen - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM

From a revenue standpoint, comparing this season to 2004 is misleading. 30K a game in Citifield is worth a lot more than 30K in Shea Stadium.

I know this article is only concerned with raw numbers, but people automatically connect attendance to spending power.

• Kevin S. - Aug 19, 2011 at 11:52 AM

It’s not that much more. The Mets have cut ticket prices each year they’ve been at Citi Field (bigger cut from ’09-’10 than ’10-’11). Adjust for the fact that the purchasing power of a dollar in MLB has declined significantly since 2004, and the comparison is more apt than one would think. Yes, use TeamMarketingReport’s information for determining the revenue associated with the ticket sales, but as a rough guideline, average attendance figures give you a decent idea of what’s going on.

5. mrhojorisin - Aug 19, 2011 at 10:52 AM

A lot of people don’t know that the Mets were the first team in New York to draw 3 million in attendance… It’ll take time, but they’ll get back there. And all the bandwagoners that jumped ship in the 90s will come back over as that other team declines with age.

• henryd3rd - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:40 PM

That other team that you refer to always reloads and never sink too low beneath the horizon before they’re back in contention. Plus that other team doesn’t have that Madoff Trustee breathing down their owners’ backs trying to get a billion dollars back that they used to run the club.

Where is Casey and Mrs. Payson when we need them?

6. natstowngreg - Aug 19, 2011 at 5:31 PM

The front-runners are abandoning the Mets. But being in New York, they can still round up 30K warm bodies. That’s their advantage over small markets. Oh, and being in the biggest media market doesn’t hurt.

What’s that, you say? The Yankees have the same advantages? Just goes to show, having tons of cash isn’t enough; you have to manage it wisely.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (4064)