Aug 19, 2011, 9:16 AM EDT
Kaja Whitehouse of the New York Post reports the Mets are suffering from an eight percent decline in home attendance and have dropped to 14th place in baseball’s average attendance standings. Average attendance this year is 30,891. That’s the lowest per-game average since 2004.
On the one hand, if you look at the Mets historic attendance figures, they seem to hew pretty closely to the classic “when they win, people show up, when they don’t, people don’t” formula, which you would expect from a city with a highly-sophisticated fan base and other entertainment options like New York.
On the other hand, I’m sure that we can somehow blame Carlos Beltran for this. I mean, he’s already perpetrated so much evil, this has to be something he has his hands in, no?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)