Aug 19, 2011, 9:16 AM EST
Kaja Whitehouse of the New York Post reports the Mets are suffering from an eight percent decline in home attendance and have dropped to 14th place in baseball’s average attendance standings. Average attendance this year is 30,891. That’s the lowest per-game average since 2004.
On the one hand, if you look at the Mets historic attendance figures, they seem to hew pretty closely to the classic “when they win, people show up, when they don’t, people don’t” formula, which you would expect from a city with a highly-sophisticated fan base and other entertainment options like New York.
On the other hand, I’m sure that we can somehow blame Carlos Beltran for this. I mean, he’s already perpetrated so much evil, this has to be something he has his hands in, no?
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)