Aug 19, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Angels still haven’t officially announced the move, but Mike Trout has joined the team and is on the field taking early batting practice. Mike DiGiovanna said earlier Friday that Vernon Wells could be placed on the DL to open up a roster spot.
If that’s the case, then Trout will probably play something close to full-time. If not, then Trout is more likely to start three or four games per week in place of Wells and Bobby Abreu.
Trout, widely viewed as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind Bryce Harper, hit .163/.213/.279 with one homer in 43 at-bats in his first taste of the majors last month. He just turned 20 earlier this month, and he hit an exceptional .326/.414/.544 with 11 homers and 33 steals for Double-A Arkansas this season.
Update: Horacio Ramirez was demoted to create room on the roster. The Angels have Wells in left field, Trout in right field and Torii Hunter at DH tonight.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)