Aug 19, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Angels still haven’t officially announced the move, but Mike Trout has joined the team and is on the field taking early batting practice. Mike DiGiovanna said earlier Friday that Vernon Wells could be placed on the DL to open up a roster spot.
If that’s the case, then Trout will probably play something close to full-time. If not, then Trout is more likely to start three or four games per week in place of Wells and Bobby Abreu.
Trout, widely viewed as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind Bryce Harper, hit .163/.213/.279 with one homer in 43 at-bats in his first taste of the majors last month. He just turned 20 earlier this month, and he hit an exceptional .326/.414/.544 with 11 homers and 33 steals for Double-A Arkansas this season.
Update: Horacio Ramirez was demoted to create room on the roster. The Angels have Wells in left field, Trout in right field and Torii Hunter at DH tonight.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)