Aug 19, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The Angels still haven’t officially announced the move, but Mike Trout has joined the team and is on the field taking early batting practice. Mike DiGiovanna said earlier Friday that Vernon Wells could be placed on the DL to open up a roster spot.
If that’s the case, then Trout will probably play something close to full-time. If not, then Trout is more likely to start three or four games per week in place of Wells and Bobby Abreu.
Trout, widely viewed as the game’s No. 2 prospect behind Bryce Harper, hit .163/.213/.279 with one homer in 43 at-bats in his first taste of the majors last month. He just turned 20 earlier this month, and he hit an exceptional .326/.414/.544 with 11 homers and 33 steals for Double-A Arkansas this season.
Update: Horacio Ramirez was demoted to create room on the roster. The Angels have Wells in left field, Trout in right field and Torii Hunter at DH tonight.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)