Aug 19, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Phil Humber apparently has a hard head.
The Chicago White Sox pitcher was hit flush in the head by a line drive off the bat of Cleveland Indians outfielder Kosuke Fukudome in the second inning of Thursday’s game, yet was on his feet to greet trainer Herm Schneider, and actually tried to convince Schneider to let him stay in the game.
Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago has the goods:
Schneider asked Humber where the ball hit him—the pitcher attempted to block the blow with his glove but was too slow—and once Humber admitted he was hit flush on the head, Schneider insisted he leave the game, to the mild-mannered pitcher’s polite protests. Three of his four outs were strikeouts, although Cleveland tapped out three hits in his 1 1/3 innings.
The White Sox said that the preliminary tests on Humber indicate he was alert and responsive once removed from the game, and that he will be further evaluated on Friday.
Humber joked about his inability to avoid line drives, noting that he was hit in the cheek by one last season. “I’ve got to get on some drills or something to get my reflexes a little faster I guess.”
He also said he expects to make his next start, though admits that “some of that’s not up to me.”
“I feel very fortunate.” No kidding.
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 3
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 89
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (89)