Aug 19, 2011, 1:45 AM EST
Phil Humber apparently has a hard head.
The Chicago White Sox pitcher was hit flush in the head by a line drive off the bat of Cleveland Indians outfielder Kosuke Fukudome in the second inning of Thursday’s game, yet was on his feet to greet trainer Herm Schneider, and actually tried to convince Schneider to let him stay in the game.
Brett Ballantini of CSN Chicago has the goods:
Schneider asked Humber where the ball hit him—the pitcher attempted to block the blow with his glove but was too slow—and once Humber admitted he was hit flush on the head, Schneider insisted he leave the game, to the mild-mannered pitcher’s polite protests. Three of his four outs were strikeouts, although Cleveland tapped out three hits in his 1 1/3 innings.
The White Sox said that the preliminary tests on Humber indicate he was alert and responsive once removed from the game, and that he will be further evaluated on Friday.
Humber joked about his inability to avoid line drives, noting that he was hit in the cheek by one last season. “I’ve got to get on some drills or something to get my reflexes a little faster I guess.”
He also said he expects to make his next start, though admits that “some of that’s not up to me.”
“I feel very fortunate.” No kidding.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)