Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday just got back from the owners meetings and he decided to go all listy: the five best owners in baseball and, of course, the five worst owners in baseball.
I don’t have any disagreements with the best-of list. The results pretty much speak for themselves at the top, and I agree with his choice of Mike Illitch on that list. Everyone complains about cheap owners. Well, the Tigers don’t have the kind of cash flow or market size as do the Yankees and the Red Sox, but Illitch spends his money on the team anyway because he realizes that the point is to win games and have fun, not to optimize one’s estate plan or whatever.
The surprise on the worst list is Drayton McLane. I mean, I know that the Astros are a mess right now, and a lot of that is because he seemed content to play puppet master to the overmatched Ed Wade, but I’m kind of shocked that makes him worse than Jeff Loria, for example.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)