Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday just got back from the owners meetings and he decided to go all listy: the five best owners in baseball and, of course, the five worst owners in baseball.
I don’t have any disagreements with the best-of list. The results pretty much speak for themselves at the top, and I agree with his choice of Mike Illitch on that list. Everyone complains about cheap owners. Well, the Tigers don’t have the kind of cash flow or market size as do the Yankees and the Red Sox, but Illitch spends his money on the team anyway because he realizes that the point is to win games and have fun, not to optimize one’s estate plan or whatever.
The surprise on the worst list is Drayton McLane. I mean, I know that the Astros are a mess right now, and a lot of that is because he seemed content to play puppet master to the overmatched Ed Wade, but I’m kind of shocked that makes him worse than Jeff Loria, for example.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8