Aug 19, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Ken Davidoff of Newsday just got back from the owners meetings and he decided to go all listy: the five best owners in baseball and, of course, the five worst owners in baseball.
I don’t have any disagreements with the best-of list. The results pretty much speak for themselves at the top, and I agree with his choice of Mike Illitch on that list. Everyone complains about cheap owners. Well, the Tigers don’t have the kind of cash flow or market size as do the Yankees and the Red Sox, but Illitch spends his money on the team anyway because he realizes that the point is to win games and have fun, not to optimize one’s estate plan or whatever.
The surprise on the worst list is Drayton McLane. I mean, I know that the Astros are a mess right now, and a lot of that is because he seemed content to play puppet master to the overmatched Ed Wade, but I’m kind of shocked that makes him worse than Jeff Loria, for example.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights