What celebrities wish for on their birthday

Aug 19, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT

Ed Norton

I’m a pretty big Ed Norton fan. Great actor. I’ve heard some stories, though, that he’s hard to deal with on the set. Likes to take control over the script and the direction and stuff and is generally a pain in the rear.  It happens. Marlon Brando was the same way and, unlike Norton, Brando would often mail it in, so that’s even worse.

No point to this other than to give me an excuse to link Ed Norton’s birthday wish, as expressed on Twitter, in which he once again seems to want some control over the direction of a production:

“Thanks for all the nice messages. People have been asking what I want for my birthday. This:” Norton wrote on Twitter, linking to a site asking for donations for the Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust. He added: “And for Cal Ripken to come back and be Manager and GM of the Orioles and revive our poor team.”

I am Jack’s obvious reference to a franchise icon who, however comforting in theory, likely has no magical answers to what ails the Baltimore Orioles franchise.

1. southpaw2k - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM

Thumbs up for the Fight Club reference.

2. Panda Claus - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:20 PM

Ed Norton and I both now have something in common. Who knew?

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:24 PM

And both Norton and Brando were together in the movie The Score, a highly underrated movie with DeNiro as well. One of Dennis Miller lines, referring to Brando in The Score…something like “Marlon Brando starred in The Score beating out a whale to secure the role…” Man is Brando fat in that movie.

• okobojicat - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Brando is also terrible in that movie and makes it almost impossible to watch. And DeNiro kind of mails it in himself.

I agree with you its underrated. Its generally regarded as so horrible all copies should be burned. Its more of a “TBS would evaluate and reject for a 2am time filler” quality movie.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Yeah, Brando and DeNiro surely mail it in. But Norton is so good in it that he carries the show, which is saying so much considering those two are in it. He alone makes it worth watching the show.

• pkers - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:29 PM

And, hey, if you notice, Norton is wearing an O’s cap at the end of the movie.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Yeah, that’s right…good call. I wonder if that was one of those “control” things that Craig was talking about.

• pkers - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:34 PM

I’m pretty sure that was just a wardrobe choice between Norton and the costume designer…put a little something personal in the character’s background.

4. dailyrev - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:35 PM

Art Carney was one of the greats — Harry and Tonto, one of my favorite films of all time, made shortly before he died. A beautiful visual poem about aging, which cat lovers enjoy too.

Huh, wrong Ed Norton? Whaddya mean?

• dexterismyhero - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:42 PM

yes, a Ralph Cramden & Ed Norton post….Excellent!!!!

5. philly56 - Aug 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM

My parents live just outside Baltimore and every time I visit I see a lot of cars with those orange Os bumper stickers – there’s a healthy amount of people there that probably want the same thing.

Oddly enough, every single time I go down there if the Phillies are playing that day – they lose, without fail almost 20 times in a row.  NLCS game 6 last year included, so sorry about that Philly.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 19, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Then get Skype for March through October, for God’s sake!!!! Tell your folks they’ll have to pack up and come see you between March and October.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3744)