Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
Aaron Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Yankees after being designated for assignment by the Mariners earlier this week and New York cleared a roster spot for the left-hander by placing Freddy Garcia on the disabled list.
Garcia was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start after slicing his hand in a kitchen accident. He initially hoped to avoid the DL and reportedly threw a bullpen session yesterday without any major issues, but the Yankees decided to shut him down anyway.
Despite a fastball that rarely cracks 90 miles per hour the 34-year-old Garcia has a 3.16 ERA and 81/37 K/BB ratio in 122 innings for the Yankees, posting an ERA under 4.20 for the first time since 2005. He’ll be eligible to return from the DL next week, while Laffey fills a bullpen role in the meantime.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 35
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 117
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)