Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
Aaron Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Yankees after being designated for assignment by the Mariners earlier this week and New York cleared a roster spot for the left-hander by placing Freddy Garcia on the disabled list.
Garcia was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start after slicing his hand in a kitchen accident. He initially hoped to avoid the DL and reportedly threw a bullpen session yesterday without any major issues, but the Yankees decided to shut him down anyway.
Despite a fastball that rarely cracks 90 miles per hour the 34-year-old Garcia has a 3.16 ERA and 81/37 K/BB ratio in 122 innings for the Yankees, posting an ERA under 4.20 for the first time since 2005. He’ll be eligible to return from the DL next week, while Laffey fills a bullpen role in the meantime.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 0
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 60
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)