Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM EST
Aaron Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Yankees after being designated for assignment by the Mariners earlier this week and New York cleared a roster spot for the left-hander by placing Freddy Garcia on the disabled list.
Garcia was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start after slicing his hand in a kitchen accident. He initially hoped to avoid the DL and reportedly threw a bullpen session yesterday without any major issues, but the Yankees decided to shut him down anyway.
Despite a fastball that rarely cracks 90 miles per hour the 34-year-old Garcia has a 3.16 ERA and 81/37 K/BB ratio in 122 innings for the Yankees, posting an ERA under 4.20 for the first time since 2005. He’ll be eligible to return from the DL next week, while Laffey fills a bullpen role in the meantime.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 48
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 187
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (188)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)