Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM EDT
Aaron Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Yankees after being designated for assignment by the Mariners earlier this week and New York cleared a roster spot for the left-hander by placing Freddy Garcia on the disabled list.
Garcia was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start after slicing his hand in a kitchen accident. He initially hoped to avoid the DL and reportedly threw a bullpen session yesterday without any major issues, but the Yankees decided to shut him down anyway.
Despite a fastball that rarely cracks 90 miles per hour the 34-year-old Garcia has a 3.16 ERA and 81/37 K/BB ratio in 122 innings for the Yankees, posting an ERA under 4.20 for the first time since 2005. He’ll be eligible to return from the DL next week, while Laffey fills a bullpen role in the meantime.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)