Aug 19, 2011, 5:51 PM EST
Aaron Laffey was claimed off waivers by the Yankees after being designated for assignment by the Mariners earlier this week and New York cleared a roster spot for the left-hander by placing Freddy Garcia on the disabled list.
Garcia was scratched from his scheduled Sunday start after slicing his hand in a kitchen accident. He initially hoped to avoid the DL and reportedly threw a bullpen session yesterday without any major issues, but the Yankees decided to shut him down anyway.
Despite a fastball that rarely cracks 90 miles per hour the 34-year-old Garcia has a 3.16 ERA and 81/37 K/BB ratio in 122 innings for the Yankees, posting an ERA under 4.20 for the first time since 2005. He’ll be eligible to return from the DL next week, while Laffey fills a bullpen role in the meantime.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (375)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)