Aug 20, 2011, 11:02 AM EDT
When the Tigers designated Brandon Inge for assignment last month, he accepted a minor league assignment with Triple-A Toledo after being promised that he would rejoin the major league club in September. Well, he’s back a little sooner than originally expected.
According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Inge will have his contract purchased from the minors today and get the start at third base tonight against Indians’ left-hander David Huff.
Inge, 34, batted .287/.389/.519 with seven homers, 19 RBI and a .907 OPS over 126 plate appearances during his time with Triple-A Toledo, including a .395/.439/.684 batting line against southpaws. While he was designated for assignment after batting .177/.242/.242 over his first 239 plate appearances this season, he has a .793 career OPS against left-handed pitching compared to a .654 OPS against right-handers.
According to Beck, the Tigers made the move now because they are expected to see four or five left-handed starters between now and September 1. While Wilson Betemit, a switch-hitter, has seen most of the playing time at third base since being acquired from the Royals last month, he has an .812 career OPS against right-handed pitching compared to a .677 OPS against southpaws. Inge is also a much better defender, so this sounds like an ideal platoon situation.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (253)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)