Aug 20, 2011, 7:03 PM EST
Carlos Beltran will be back shortly.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, the veteran outfielder took swings in a batting cage from both sides of the plate on Saturday afternoon without experiencing any lingering pain or discomfort in his once-strained right hand.
Beltran has been on the 15-day disabled list since August 8. He’s eligible to return to the major leagues Tuesday, but the Giants are likely to wait until later in the week to officially activate him. Thursday or Friday seems realistic.
Beltran was acquired from the Mets in late July for pitching prospect Zach Wheeler. The 34-year-old is batting .284/.378/.495 on the season, but just .244/.261/.356 in 46 plate appearances since joining San Francisco.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)