Aug 20, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was back in New York last night for the first time since being traded to the Brewers last month. Among other things, he told Matt Ehalt of ESPNNewYork.com that he would be open to returning to the Mets as a free agent.
“Definitely. I understand this is a business, they did what they needed to do and feel what they need to early in the year to trade me, (but) the door is still open,” Rodriguez said. “I’m not the type of person that is going to burn bridges and say, no, I’m not coming this place because they trade me or whatever. I’m open-minded and open to come here to New York once again in the future.”
Rodriguez is in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $37 million contract. Upon his trade to Milwaukee, his $17.5 million option for 2012 was converted to a mutual option with a $4 million buyout.
K-Rod is just saying what an impending free agent is supposed to say, but this is a highly doubtful scenario. The Mets seem committed to giving the younger, cheaper Bobby Parnell an honest audition as closer and while Sandy Alderson plans to upgrade the bullpen this winter, I see them looking toward low-cost, risk/reward types like Jonathan Broxton. Assuming his right arm is still attached to his body, that is. Haven’t heard from that guy in a while.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games