Aug 20, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez was back in New York last night for the first time since being traded to the Brewers last month. Among other things, he told Matt Ehalt of ESPNNewYork.com that he would be open to returning to the Mets as a free agent.
“Definitely. I understand this is a business, they did what they needed to do and feel what they need to early in the year to trade me, (but) the door is still open,” Rodriguez said. “I’m not the type of person that is going to burn bridges and say, no, I’m not coming this place because they trade me or whatever. I’m open-minded and open to come here to New York once again in the future.”
Rodriguez is in the final guaranteed year of a three-year, $37 million contract. Upon his trade to Milwaukee, his $17.5 million option for 2012 was converted to a mutual option with a $4 million buyout.
K-Rod is just saying what an impending free agent is supposed to say, but this is a highly doubtful scenario. The Mets seem committed to giving the younger, cheaper Bobby Parnell an honest audition as closer and while Sandy Alderson plans to upgrade the bullpen this winter, I see them looking toward low-cost, risk/reward types like Jonathan Broxton. Assuming his right arm is still attached to his body, that is. Haven’t heard from that guy in a while.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)