Aug 20, 2011, 12:40 PM EDT
UPDATE: John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the Giants have officially scratched Sanchez from Sunday’s start. Dan Runzler will get the ball in his place.
12:40 PM: The injury-riddled Giants have lost back-to-back games and still aren’t sure who is going to start for them tomorrow.
Jonathan Sanchez tested his injured left ankle by throwing off flat ground before last night’s loss to the Astros, but Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News that the session went “just all right.”
Sanchez left Tuesday’s start against the Braves after spraining his left ankle while fielding a sacrifice bunt. The Giants will determine later today whether he’ll be able to make the start tomorrow. If he isn’t well enough to go, the Giants will likely look to left-hander Dan Runzler, someone who has never made a start in the major leagues.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)