Aug 20, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
Jose Reyes ran yesterday for the first time since aggravating his left hamstring earlier this month, but Mets manager Terry Collins told the New York Post that it would be a “stretch” to expect him to be ready to return from the disabled list when he is first eligible Tuesday.
Reyes said yesterday that he wasn’t yet 100 percent, though he has seen considerable improvement over the past few days. More interesting, though, was his admission that he was worried about his hamstring in between stints on the disabled list.
“My confidence running-wise wasn’t there,” Reyes said of his time on the field between the two left hamstring strains that have landed him on the disabled list. “Anytime you have a problem with your hamstring, you don’t get your confidence back right away. It’s going to take some time to put it out of your mind.”
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season. While he still leads the National League in batting average, he also ranks first with 16 triples, second with 34 stolen bases, fifth with 80 runs scored and sixth with 144 hits.
UPDATE: Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger reports Jose Reyes ran the bases today and said he came close to running at full capacity. He isn’t sure when he’ll return from the disabled list, but believes that he will likely need to go out on a minor league rehab assignment first.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 10
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 8
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 17
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 72
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 87
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)