Aug 20, 2011, 11:50 AM EDT
Jose Reyes ran yesterday for the first time since aggravating his left hamstring earlier this month, but Mets manager Terry Collins told the New York Post that it would be a “stretch” to expect him to be ready to return from the disabled list when he is first eligible Tuesday.
Reyes said yesterday that he wasn’t yet 100 percent, though he has seen considerable improvement over the past few days. More interesting, though, was his admission that he was worried about his hamstring in between stints on the disabled list.
“My confidence running-wise wasn’t there,” Reyes said of his time on the field between the two left hamstring strains that have landed him on the disabled list. “Anytime you have a problem with your hamstring, you don’t get your confidence back right away. It’s going to take some time to put it out of your mind.”
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season. While he still leads the National League in batting average, he also ranks first with 16 triples, second with 34 stolen bases, fifth with 80 runs scored and sixth with 144 hits.
UPDATE: Mike Vorkunov of the Newark Star-Ledger reports Jose Reyes ran the bases today and said he came close to running at full capacity. He isn’t sure when he’ll return from the disabled list, but believes that he will likely need to go out on a minor league rehab assignment first.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)