Aug 20, 2011, 9:43 AM EST
As expected, the Marlins have activated Omar Infante from the disabled list and optioned Ozzie Martinez to Triple-A New Orleans.
Infante hasn’t played since August 4 due to a broken right middle finger. The 29-year-old second baseman is batting .279/.324/.364 with three homers, 34 RBI and a .688 OPS over 468 plate appearances this season. The injury was unfortunately timed, as he was hitting .411 (30-for-73) since the All-Star break.
Infante, who was acquired from the Braves in the Dan Uggla trade last November, is making $2.5 million this season and will be a free agent this offseason. He has expressed a desire to re-sign with the Marlins for the opening of their new stadium at the former Orange Bowl site.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)