Aug 20, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
As expected, the Marlins have activated Omar Infante from the disabled list and optioned Ozzie Martinez to Triple-A New Orleans.
Infante hasn’t played since August 4 due to a broken right middle finger. The 29-year-old second baseman is batting .279/.324/.364 with three homers, 34 RBI and a .688 OPS over 468 plate appearances this season. The injury was unfortunately timed, as he was hitting .411 (30-for-73) since the All-Star break.
Infante, who was acquired from the Braves in the Dan Uggla trade last November, is making $2.5 million this season and will be a free agent this offseason. He has expressed a desire to re-sign with the Marlins for the opening of their new stadium at the former Orange Bowl site.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 97
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 46
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 15
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 6
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 73
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement