Aug 20, 2011, 9:43 AM EDT
As expected, the Marlins have activated Omar Infante from the disabled list and optioned Ozzie Martinez to Triple-A New Orleans.
Infante hasn’t played since August 4 due to a broken right middle finger. The 29-year-old second baseman is batting .279/.324/.364 with three homers, 34 RBI and a .688 OPS over 468 plate appearances this season. The injury was unfortunately timed, as he was hitting .411 (30-for-73) since the All-Star break.
Infante, who was acquired from the Braves in the Dan Uggla trade last November, is making $2.5 million this season and will be a free agent this offseason. He has expressed a desire to re-sign with the Marlins for the opening of their new stadium at the former Orange Bowl site.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)