Aug 20, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
The Red Sox backed out of a trade for Rich Harden before the non-waiver trade deadline due to concerns about his medical records, but there’s still a chance he’ll be dealt this month.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Yankees have had scouts present at each of Harden’s last two starts while scouts from other potential playoff teams have been watching him for even longer.
Harden tied a career-high with 11 strikeouts over seven shutout innings in last night’s win over the Blue Jays. After missing the first three months of the season with a strained lat muscle, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 3.91 ERA and 60/24 K/BB ratio over 53 innings. He is averaging 91.6 mph on his fastball this season, which is up a tick from where he was last season (90.5) with the Rangers.
The Yankees have six starters for five spots right now, but CC Sabathia is the only given for a short-series during the postseason. While Harden would represent an interesting alternative for the Bombers, there’s no guarantee he’ll actually make it to them. Harden was placed on waivers earlier this week, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, so a pitching-hungry team like the Angels could potentially put in a claim first.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 9
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 42
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 61
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)