Aug 20, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
The Red Sox backed out of a trade for Rich Harden before the non-waiver trade deadline due to concerns about his medical records, but there’s still a chance he’ll be dealt this month.
According to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the Yankees have had scouts present at each of Harden’s last two starts while scouts from other potential playoff teams have been watching him for even longer.
Harden tied a career-high with 11 strikeouts over seven shutout innings in last night’s win over the Blue Jays. After missing the first three months of the season with a strained lat muscle, the 29-year-old right-hander has a 3.91 ERA and 60/24 K/BB ratio over 53 innings. He is averaging 91.6 mph on his fastball this season, which is up a tick from where he was last season (90.5) with the Rangers.
The Yankees have six starters for five spots right now, but CC Sabathia is the only given for a short-series during the postseason. While Harden would represent an interesting alternative for the Bombers, there’s no guarantee he’ll actually make it to them. Harden was placed on waivers earlier this week, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, so a pitching-hungry team like the Angels could potentially put in a claim first.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 10
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 279
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (279)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)