Aug 20, 2011, 2:20 PM EDT
The Rockies are ready to begin reaping the rewards of the recent Ubaldo Jimenez trade.
Jim Tracy announced earlier today that Alex White will be activated from the disabled list and start Tuesday against the Astros. He’ll take the place of struggling right-hander Jason Hammel, who will move to the bullpen for now.
White was acquired from the Indians last month along with 2010 first-round pick Drew Pomeranz, right-hander Joe Gardner and first baseman-outfielder Matt McBride. The 22-year-old right-hander posted a 3.60 ERA and 13/9 K/BB ratio over his first three major league starts before going on the disabled list in May with a strained ligament in his right index finger. The 2009 first-round pick struck out four over 7 2/3 shutout innings Thursday in his most recent minor league rehab start with Double-A Tulsa.
Hammel was just blasted for six runs over three innings in a loss to the Dodgers last night. He has an ugly 8.41 ERA and 21/22 K/BB ratio since the All-Star break and a 5.24 ERA for the season. While he is basically throwing at the same velocity this season as he was in 2010, his strikeout percentage has dipped from 18.3 percent to 11.9 percent while his walk percentage has increased from 6.1 percent to 9.7 percent. The 28-year-old right-hander avoided arbitration this winter by signing a two-year, $7.75 million contract. He is owed $4.75 million in 2012.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 0
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 31
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 25
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)