Russell Martin homers twice in win over Twins

Aug 20, 2011, 9:23 AM EDT

New York Yankees Russell Martin hits a single to center in game against the Twins in Minneapolis Reuters

Earlier this week on Twitter, I mentioned that Russell Martin hasn’t done squat since the start his red-hot April. Well, he has shut me up over the past few days.

On the heels of driving in two runs on Wednesday and hitting a solo homer on Thursday, Martin went 3-for-4 with two homers and three RBI in last night’s 8-1 win over the Twins.

After hitting just .201/.309/.287 with four homers, six doubles and a .596 OPS over 59 games from May through July, Martin is batting .269/.291/.596 with five homers, four doubles and an .887 OPS this month.

The reason for the recent offensive surge? Martin tells Chad Jennings of the Journal News that he feels fresh.

“I feel like it’s April right now,” he said. “Seriously. The way Joe’s been giving me rest, I’ve never had a year like this where I’ve been fully rested like I am now. I’ve got to give it up to him, because I’m not going to take days off. They’re going to have to give it to me.”

Long known as being one of the most durable catchers in the majors, Martin appeared in at least 143 games per season from 2007-2009 as a member of the Dodgers. He has managed to stay healthy this season while appearing in just 96 games. And with the Yankees a near-lock to make the playoffs, he should get plenty of rest down the stretch.

1. yankeesfanlen - Aug 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM

I’m not going to dwell on this topic because we know where that leads, however Rusell Martin is our best catcher in years.
    He can keep AJ in check as much as that is possible, calls good games and plans strategy well.
    And there’s the inherent opportunity for ample rest given that CC uses Cervelli every fifth day.
    OK, can’t resist saying it: Our previos incumbent was not on the same page with far too many of our pitchers.

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM

My fantasy team is happy with Martin’s recent performance.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM

Did I mention that he was born in Toronto and raised in Montreal.

3. ditto65 - Aug 20, 2011 at 10:11 AM

I bet that is all BS. He read your Tweet, DJ, and decided to prove you wrong. That’s the power of social media; you can both denigrate & motivate, often at the same time.

• D.J. Short - Aug 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Ha, something like that.

• jkay1818 - Aug 20, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I dont even mind what hes doing at the plate. defensively, he has been incredible. He throws a ton of runners out, he calls an excellent game, he’s great at blocking balls and good on pop ups. I never knew he was this good on D.

4. pisano - Aug 20, 2011 at 1:16 PM

jkay1818… I agree totally with your post. If he hits .240 and plays D the way he does he’s a keeper. I’ll never forget last year when the Rangers stole four bases in one inning on Posada and the very next time the Yankees played Boston they were running wild on him. It was a long over due change that was needed.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS