Aug 20, 2011, 8:44 AM EDT
You know, it’s been a while since we’ve talked about Ryan Madson‘s ability to handle the ninth inning. Why not start that fun little controversy over again?
Madson blew up in epic fashion in last night’s 8-4 loss to the Nationals, giving up six runs in the bottom of the ninth inning. After allowing four straight singles to tie the ballgame, he served up a walkoff grand slam to Ryan Zimmerman. It was just his second blown save of the season and brought his ERA from 2.06 to 3.25 on the year.
Zimmerman now has three career grand slams and eight walkoff home runs. Though he was slowed during the first half of the season with an abdominal injury, the 26-year-old third baseman is batting .352/.404/.552 with five homers, 18 RBI and a .956 OPS since the All-Star break.
Your Friday box scores:
Cardinals 4, Cubs 5 (10 innings)
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 4
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 55
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)