Aug 20, 2011, 10:27 PM EDT
The Tigers promoted veteran infielder Brandon Inge from Triple-A Toledo on Saturday, after watching him catch fire for a three-week stretch against a lower level of competition in the International League.
He has apparently carried some of that minor league momentum with him back to Detroit.
Inge finished 2-for-4 with a solo home run and two RBI in his return to the big leagues Saturday, helping the first-place Tigers to a 10-1 blowout win over the second-place Indians. He also played the entire game at third base, experiencing no difficulty on defense.
Inge, a former All-Star, is expected to draw semi-regular starts at the hot corner down the stretch.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17