Aug 21, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
The Angels have called a Tuesday press conference to announce the signing of ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85 million contract extension.
Weaver is making $7.37 million this year after losing in arbitration back in February. He had one year of arbitration left, so the new deal, which averages $17 million per season, buys out four years of free agency.
The deal matches up nicely with the similar pacts Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander signed prior to the 2010 season. Both were two years away from free agency then. Hernandez signed for $78 million over five years, while Verlander got $80 million for five years. Weaver receives a little more in part because his contract buys out the extra year of free agency.
At 14-6 with a league-leading 2.10 ERA in 26 starts, Weaver is a top contender for AL Cy Young honors this season. He’s 78-45 with a 3.30 ERA since debuting in 2006.
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 15
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 101
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 159
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)