Aug 21, 2011, 8:59 PM EST
The Angels have called a Tuesday press conference to announce the signing of ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85 million contract extension.
Weaver is making $7.37 million this year after losing in arbitration back in February. He had one year of arbitration left, so the new deal, which averages $17 million per season, buys out four years of free agency.
The deal matches up nicely with the similar pacts Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander signed prior to the 2010 season. Both were two years away from free agency then. Hernandez signed for $78 million over five years, while Verlander got $80 million for five years. Weaver receives a little more in part because his contract buys out the extra year of free agency.
At 14-6 with a league-leading 2.10 ERA in 26 starts, Weaver is a top contender for AL Cy Young honors this season. He’s 78-45 with a 3.30 ERA since debuting in 2006.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 10
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 71
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 140
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (140)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)