Aug 21, 2011, 8:59 PM EDT
The Angels have called a Tuesday press conference to announce the signing of ace Jered Weaver to a five-year, $85 million contract extension.
Weaver is making $7.37 million this year after losing in arbitration back in February. He had one year of arbitration left, so the new deal, which averages $17 million per season, buys out four years of free agency.
The deal matches up nicely with the similar pacts Felix Hernandez and Justin Verlander signed prior to the 2010 season. Both were two years away from free agency then. Hernandez signed for $78 million over five years, while Verlander got $80 million for five years. Weaver receives a little more in part because his contract buys out the extra year of free agency.
At 14-6 with a league-leading 2.10 ERA in 26 starts, Weaver is a top contender for AL Cy Young honors this season. He’s 78-45 with a 3.30 ERA since debuting in 2006.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)