Aug 21, 2011, 2:39 PM EDT
Lyles will return to the big leagues when rosters expand on the first of September, but only as a long man out of the bullpen. It’s doubtful he’ll be used more than three or four times down the stretch.
A supplemental first-round pick back in 2008, the 20-year-old earned a promotion to Houston after registering a 3.20 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 59 innings at the Triple-A level. He posted a 5.02 ERA, 61/23 K/BB ratio and 1.38 WHIP in his first 89 2/3 major league innings.
Lyles doesn’t turn 21 years old until mid-October, and should have a bright future if he continues developing.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)