Aug 21, 2011, 2:39 PM EDT
Lyles will return to the big leagues when rosters expand on the first of September, but only as a long man out of the bullpen. It’s doubtful he’ll be used more than three or four times down the stretch.
A supplemental first-round pick back in 2008, the 20-year-old earned a promotion to Houston after registering a 3.20 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 59 innings at the Triple-A level. He posted a 5.02 ERA, 61/23 K/BB ratio and 1.38 WHIP in his first 89 2/3 major league innings.
Lyles doesn’t turn 21 years old until mid-October, and should have a bright future if he continues developing.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)