Aug 21, 2011, 2:39 PM EST
Lyles will return to the big leagues when rosters expand on the first of September, but only as a long man out of the bullpen. It’s doubtful he’ll be used more than three or four times down the stretch.
A supplemental first-round pick back in 2008, the 20-year-old earned a promotion to Houston after registering a 3.20 ERA and 41/16 K/BB ratio in 59 innings at the Triple-A level. He posted a 5.02 ERA, 61/23 K/BB ratio and 1.38 WHIP in his first 89 2/3 major league innings.
Lyles doesn’t turn 21 years old until mid-October, and should have a bright future if he continues developing.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)