Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Tim Hudson allowed three hits over seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Braves beat the Diamondbacks 1-0 to complete a three-game sweep Sunday.
It was the fifth straight loss for Arizona.
The lone run of the game came when shortstop Alex Gonzalez took Josh Collmenter deep in the seventh inning. It was just the second RBI in 11 games for the slumping Gonzalez, who is hitting .233/.260/.345 in 481 at-bats this season.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, again got nothing from their shortstop position. Willie Bloomquist went hitless for the fifth time in his last six starts. He’s hitting .206/.306/.270 in 63 at-bats during August.
Hudson won his fourth straight, moving to 13-7 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have won each of his last five starts. Also, the team has lost just twice all season when scoring at least four runs in a Hudson start.
Craig Kimbrel picked up his 39th save by striking out the side (around a single and a walk) in the ninth.
With four wins in a row, the Braves are tied with the Brewers for the second-best record in the NL. They’re certainly not catching the Phillies, but they’ll end the day with an eight- or nine-game lead over the Giants in the wild card, which means they can start printing playoff tickets anytime now.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 67
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)