Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EST
Tim Hudson allowed three hits over seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Braves beat the Diamondbacks 1-0 to complete a three-game sweep Sunday.
It was the fifth straight loss for Arizona.
The lone run of the game came when shortstop Alex Gonzalez took Josh Collmenter deep in the seventh inning. It was just the second RBI in 11 games for the slumping Gonzalez, who is hitting .233/.260/.345 in 481 at-bats this season.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, again got nothing from their shortstop position. Willie Bloomquist went hitless for the fifth time in his last six starts. He’s hitting .206/.306/.270 in 63 at-bats during August.
Hudson won his fourth straight, moving to 13-7 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have won each of his last five starts. Also, the team has lost just twice all season when scoring at least four runs in a Hudson start.
Craig Kimbrel picked up his 39th save by striking out the side (around a single and a walk) in the ninth.
With four wins in a row, the Braves are tied with the Brewers for the second-best record in the NL. They’re certainly not catching the Phillies, but they’ll end the day with an eight- or nine-game lead over the Giants in the wild card, which means they can start printing playoff tickets anytime now.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)