Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Tim Hudson allowed three hits over seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Braves beat the Diamondbacks 1-0 to complete a three-game sweep Sunday.
It was the fifth straight loss for Arizona.
The lone run of the game came when shortstop Alex Gonzalez took Josh Collmenter deep in the seventh inning. It was just the second RBI in 11 games for the slumping Gonzalez, who is hitting .233/.260/.345 in 481 at-bats this season.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, again got nothing from their shortstop position. Willie Bloomquist went hitless for the fifth time in his last six starts. He’s hitting .206/.306/.270 in 63 at-bats during August.
Hudson won his fourth straight, moving to 13-7 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have won each of his last five starts. Also, the team has lost just twice all season when scoring at least four runs in a Hudson start.
Craig Kimbrel picked up his 39th save by striking out the side (around a single and a walk) in the ninth.
With four wins in a row, the Braves are tied with the Brewers for the second-best record in the NL. They’re certainly not catching the Phillies, but they’ll end the day with an eight- or nine-game lead over the Giants in the wild card, which means they can start printing playoff tickets anytime now.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 22
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)