Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Tim Hudson allowed three hits over seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Braves beat the Diamondbacks 1-0 to complete a three-game sweep Sunday.
It was the fifth straight loss for Arizona.
The lone run of the game came when shortstop Alex Gonzalez took Josh Collmenter deep in the seventh inning. It was just the second RBI in 11 games for the slumping Gonzalez, who is hitting .233/.260/.345 in 481 at-bats this season.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, again got nothing from their shortstop position. Willie Bloomquist went hitless for the fifth time in his last six starts. He’s hitting .206/.306/.270 in 63 at-bats during August.
Hudson won his fourth straight, moving to 13-7 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have won each of his last five starts. Also, the team has lost just twice all season when scoring at least four runs in a Hudson start.
Craig Kimbrel picked up his 39th save by striking out the side (around a single and a walk) in the ninth.
With four wins in a row, the Braves are tied with the Brewers for the second-best record in the NL. They’re certainly not catching the Phillies, but they’ll end the day with an eight- or nine-game lead over the Giants in the wild card, which means they can start printing playoff tickets anytime now.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)