Aug 21, 2011, 5:33 PM EDT
Tim Hudson allowed three hits over seven innings and combined with two relievers on a shutout as the Braves beat the Diamondbacks 1-0 to complete a three-game sweep Sunday.
It was the fifth straight loss for Arizona.
The lone run of the game came when shortstop Alex Gonzalez took Josh Collmenter deep in the seventh inning. It was just the second RBI in 11 games for the slumping Gonzalez, who is hitting .233/.260/.345 in 481 at-bats this season.
The Diamondbacks, meanwhile, again got nothing from their shortstop position. Willie Bloomquist went hitless for the fifth time in his last six starts. He’s hitting .206/.306/.270 in 63 at-bats during August.
Hudson won his fourth straight, moving to 13-7 with a 3.01 ERA. The Braves have won each of his last five starts. Also, the team has lost just twice all season when scoring at least four runs in a Hudson start.
Craig Kimbrel picked up his 39th save by striking out the side (around a single and a walk) in the ninth.
With four wins in a row, the Braves are tied with the Brewers for the second-best record in the NL. They’re certainly not catching the Phillies, but they’ll end the day with an eight- or nine-game lead over the Giants in the wild card, which means they can start printing playoff tickets anytime now.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (132)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)