Aug 21, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz was dealt from the Indians to the Rockies in late July as part of a package for Ubaldo Jimenez, but Pomeranz was drafted just last year and didn’t sign until the August 15 deadline so he wasn’t allowed to join an affiliate in the Rockies’ system until last week.
Pomeranz made his debut at Double-A Tulsa this past Wednesday, and took a perfect game into the seventh inning before allowing two hits. He struck out four and did not issue a walk, needing only 78 pitches in the impressive seven-inning start.
It was a sparkling first impression, but it will also go down as the left-hander’s final appearance of the 2011 season.
According to David Heck of MiLB.com, Pomeranz underwent an emergency appendectomy on Saturday night after showing up to the ballpark in Tulsa with pain in his abdomen. The recovery time for such a procedure only takes about 10 days, but the minor league schedule will be finished by the time the Rockies would feel comfortable with letting the organization’s new top arm back on a mound.
Pomeranz, 22, wound up posting a 1.84 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 116/38 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 32
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 77
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)