Aug 21, 2011, 9:41 AM EDT
Top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz was dealt from the Indians to the Rockies in late July as part of a package for Ubaldo Jimenez, but Pomeranz was drafted just last year and didn’t sign until the August 15 deadline so he wasn’t allowed to join an affiliate in the Rockies’ system until last week.
Pomeranz made his debut at Double-A Tulsa this past Wednesday, and took a perfect game into the seventh inning before allowing two hits. He struck out four and did not issue a walk, needing only 78 pitches in the impressive seven-inning start.
It was a sparkling first impression, but it will also go down as the left-hander’s final appearance of the 2011 season.
According to David Heck of MiLB.com, Pomeranz underwent an emergency appendectomy on Saturday night after showing up to the ballpark in Tulsa with pain in his abdomen. The recovery time for such a procedure only takes about 10 days, but the minor league schedule will be finished by the time the Rockies would feel comfortable with letting the organization’s new top arm back on a mound.
Pomeranz, 22, wound up posting a 1.84 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 116/38 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)