Aug 21, 2011, 9:41 AM EST
Top pitching prospect Drew Pomeranz was dealt from the Indians to the Rockies in late July as part of a package for Ubaldo Jimenez, but Pomeranz was drafted just last year and didn’t sign until the August 15 deadline so he wasn’t allowed to join an affiliate in the Rockies’ system until last week.
Pomeranz made his debut at Double-A Tulsa this past Wednesday, and took a perfect game into the seventh inning before allowing two hits. He struck out four and did not issue a walk, needing only 78 pitches in the impressive seven-inning start.
It was a sparkling first impression, but it will also go down as the left-hander’s final appearance of the 2011 season.
According to David Heck of MiLB.com, Pomeranz underwent an emergency appendectomy on Saturday night after showing up to the ballpark in Tulsa with pain in his abdomen. The recovery time for such a procedure only takes about 10 days, but the minor league schedule will be finished by the time the Rockies would feel comfortable with letting the organization’s new top arm back on a mound.
Pomeranz, 22, wound up posting a 1.84 ERA, 1.08 WHIP and 116/38 K/BB ratio in 98 innings this season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)