Jimmy Rollins exits Sunday’s game with right groin strain

Aug 21, 2011, 3:43 PM EDT

rollins fielding ap AP

Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins was pulled in the third inning of Sunday afternoon’s game against the Nationals after straining his right groin muscle. According to David Murphy of the Philadelphia Daily News, he is considered day-to-day.

Rollins suffered the groin injury in the second inning while ranging up the middle on a Jesus Flores ground ball. He then departed in the third inning.

Rollins has also been bothered by knee soreness for much of the regular season and could get several consecutive days off as the Phillies look to get him rested and ready for postseason play.

The Phils currently boast a MLB-best 81-43 record. They lead the National League East by 7 1/2 games.

1. everybodyhitswoohoo - Aug 21, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The past week was not good for the Phillies’ respective groins…

• firedude7160 - Aug 21, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Not one bit

2. firedude7160 - Aug 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Enough rain delays already

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 5:46 PM

2 outs and 2 strikes and Ian Desmond with the ultimate punch in the groin!! Burnett stinks so maybe they can get some runs off him.

4. FC - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I knew they lost the game with the Homer by Desmond. Lidge against Zimmerman? That was a given.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:13 PM

They had one loss for the whole season going into last Sunday with a lead going into the 9th inning. Now they have 4 after getting 3 in their last 6 in the 9th!! Dog days of August!!!

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:17 PM

Lidge is a joke because he does not have a fastball anymore since he came back. I won’t debate Lidge because he’s done and it’s not worth my energy to debate otherwise.

My problem is not with the bullpen in this game. I never criticise Charlie, but I will this game. It was a little over 1 hr rain delay and you put a rookie in that has never pitched a major league game to protect Doc’s 3-2 lead? Are you kidding? You allow Doc to continue to pitch the game. If it was over 2 hrs., I understand. But, for cying out loud, it’s Doc. Don’t treat him like other starters on this team. Just like you let him go his last outing in the 9th and he lost it, you let the guy pitch.

I have seen in my many years of watching baseball where the offense is in a rally and has a 45 minute half inning and they don’t pull the pitcher when the offense is done. Add another 20 mins. to this. What’s the big difference? Send Doc back out.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Lidge is a joke because he does not have a fastball anymore since he came back.

Just for shits and giggles I checked out his fangraphs page. From his prime in Houston, he’s lost 7mph on his fball (95 to 88) and 8mph on his slider (88 to 80). Guys like Trevor Hoffman can survive with an 88mph fastball if you throw a ridiculous change, but fb/sl might not cut it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Church,

Yeah. I know this, and I didn’t have to check fangraphs to see that this is the case. I just watch the guy pitch and his fastball is a joke. Without it, the batters just sit fastball without even having to deal with the slider.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Is he still hurt? The benefit of having such a huge lead in the standings is that you can let guys get healthy. Didn’t he just get off the DL? Maybe he’s not 100% yet?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Church,

He’s not hurt. He just cannot generate any velocity with his pitches anymore. He’s a 34 year old pitcher that has just come off a partial tear in his rotator cuff. He is what he is at this point. He can generate enough arm action to throw his slider, but that’s about it. His fastball tops out at 86 mph. The hitters in this league can just sit on it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:41 PM

Church,

I have a question for you. If after a 1 hr. 11 min rain delay at the end of the 5th, if you were manager, would you have a problem with putting Roy Halladay, one of the most conditioned and seasoned pitchers, back out there? Do you think it’s wise to put a MLB debut pitcher like Schwimmer in to protect his lead? What’s better for the ballclub to win the game?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Eww, that’s a sticky subject. [with the caveat that all I know from the game is the recap info] 83 pitches in 5 for Halladay isn’t like him. Was he struggling? He didn’t walk anyone, but we’ve all seen the 97 pitch CGs from him.

I tend to be a big picture person. I assume there is some higher risk of injury putting Doc back out there, and with the 6.5 game lead in the standings I think it’s like a 99.98% chance of making the playoffs, don’t risk the injury. If it’s the playoffs, or you need the win to get in the playoffs, 1h11m is probably right around the border of deciding to let him pitch again or pull him.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Church, with any pitcher going out there in any given day, you always risk injury. This is the Doc, however. Exceptions are his definition. Doc gives you the best chance to win a game. I don’t care who they have in the bullpen. Doc is better than anyone in any bullpen in MLB. I take my chances with him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Bicepts, if it was game 1 of the NLCS I would put Halladay back in. On august 21 in a meaningless game against the Nationals, I wouldn’t put halladay back in. Relax man. Everything is fine. They lost two tough games in the 9th against the 4th best home team in the NL. It’s the dog days of August. Who gives a crap?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 21, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Pretty much with Chris said, if you needed the game, you ride Halladay until his arm falls off. But now? No sense risking additional damage to the arm by sending him out.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Chris, I suspect that the difference between me and you is that I actually look at the season as the journey, not the end. I don’t look towards the playoffs. The season is what it is, a journey. Doc can pitch as long as needed. A 1 hr. 11 min. rain delay with 80 some pitches is no reason to take out the best pitcher in baseball. He can pitch 10 innings if he needs to. The reason that Charlie did not pitch Doc after the rain delay, in my opinion, is that he did not want the other aces to feel that Doc was a special pitcher beyond them. Cole, Cliff, and the other Roy are not Halladay. Never have been, never will.

When you have the horse in the stable, you use him.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:12 PM

The Phillies could every game between now and Labor Day and STILL be no worse than tied for the Wild Card lead. Every. Single. Game. They are 16 freaking games up in the loss for Christs sake!!! Relax Phillies game!!!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:17 PM

So you’d take the chance of blowing out his arm doing something he isn’t used to, which is rest for almost 75 minutes between pitches, in a game where he really wasn’t too sharp anyway, just because he is the horse and you really want to win a meaningless game in August against the Nationals? Well, let’s just at I’m glad you aren’t managing. It’s one thing to leave him in for the 9th with 101 pitches. It’s quite another to put him in after a very long delay. Too dangerous an totally not worth it at all. Halladay was not needed today. If not for One bad pitch from Bastardo, I wonder if you would even be thinking about it. Sounds like you just are complaining about something since they lost.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM

Chris, forget pitch counts!!! Forget that is is August 21st. This is Roy Halladay. He will be as sharp for the playoffs as he is duting the season. Let me ask you this. You always refer to Cole Hamels as Cole Carlton. Correct? Which is cool because I like the reference. However, you have a problem with saving Roy Halladay, the active leader in MLB in complete games, because you want to limit his stress. Well, in 1980, whenhe Phillies won the World Series, Steve Carlton, in the REGULAR SEASON, threw 304 innings and had 19 complete games. Are you telling me that Roy Halladay is that weak that he can’t do it?

Please Chris, I respect you to the nth degree, but where is your rebuttal to this?

• natstowngreg - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:32 PM

The Nats Park gun had Lidge at 91-92. My recollection was that he used to be at 95-96. What I wonder, is 91-92 his new normal?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:37 PM

Greg,

The gun is lying. Lidge’s fastball is 86-88. He sucks.

5. halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I will also say this. I commend the balls of this Nationals club. They played with alot of zest and determination. I take nothing away from them. They showed they weren’t going to be intimidated by the Phils.

• natstowngreg - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:23 PM

After Desmond’s homer, I told the Phillies fans sitting next to me, a couple of seasons ago, we’d already be out of the park and at the Metro station.

A corner of sorts has been turned. We’re not the soft part of the Phillies’ schedule anymore.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 8:36 PM

Well, your club played great with the exception of Jayson Werthless, although he had a hit in the late innings. You have a good future. It’s not now. But, like I said, I give my props to a gritty ballclub.

• natstowngreg - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:16 PM

Werth is getting better, not yet to where he should be. At least the booing by the home fans has stopped.

This season has been taking a step up, an d that has been accomplished. Still a ways to go, but improvement makes it easier for a fan to spend the cash to sit through the bad games.

6. dirtyharry1971 - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Rollins is probably the most overrated player in the game so who cares

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 21, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Just like a dirty sanchez, which I would give you if I ever caught you sleeping.

7. FC - Aug 21, 2011 at 7:07 PM

The most Awesome thing about the Phils is that the recent win 1 lose 1 see-saw is their definition of a rough patch! Playing .500 is a rough patch for the Phils! LOL! And yet that’s all they need to reach the Playoffs. Of course naturally I want them to keep the Division Title, so definitely stay ahead of the braves as much as possible and keep that #1 seed.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 21, 2011 at 7:29 PM

They went 3-3 this week with 3 rain delays and lost all three games in the 9th. They are fine. The Bastid made one bad pitch and struck out the side. Desmond just opened his eyes after that bomb. Too much second guessing going on here. Schwimmer looked awesome and the team is fine.

The only things that can hurt this team are injuries…get well soon j-roll’s groin…and weather. A couple long delays in the playoffs could derail the four aces.

• natstowngreg - Aug 21, 2011 at 9:18 PM

Just an aside. Schwimer was making his MLB debut at home, being a Northern Virginia kid. I used to work with his father (didn ‘t see him at the park, but suspect he must have been there)..

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3402)