Aug 21, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
According to Dan Hayes of the North County Times, the Padres designated right-handed reliever Pat Neshek for assignment late Saturday night to clear a roster spot for the activation of Ernesto Frieri.
Neshek, 30, registered an underwhelming 4.01 ERA and 1.66 WHIP in 25 relief appearances this year for San Diego, striking out just 20 batters while issuing 22 walks over 24 2/3 innings. He still owns a cool 3.21 career ERA and 1.11 career WHIP, but the side-armer has not been the same since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in 2008.
Neshek could pass through waivers and wind up back in the Padres’ system, likely at Triple-A Tucson.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 88
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)