Aug 21, 2011, 10:28 AM EDT
According to Dan Hayes of the North County Times, the Padres designated right-handed reliever Pat Neshek for assignment late Saturday night to clear a roster spot for the activation of Ernesto Frieri.
Neshek, 30, registered an underwhelming 4.01 ERA and 1.66 WHIP in 25 relief appearances this year for San Diego, striking out just 20 batters while issuing 22 walks over 24 2/3 innings. He still owns a cool 3.21 career ERA and 1.11 career WHIP, but the side-armer has not been the same since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in 2008.
Neshek could pass through waivers and wind up back in the Padres’ system, likely at Triple-A Tucson.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 17
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 29
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 58
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 73
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 86
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)