Aug 21, 2011, 10:28 AM EST
According to Dan Hayes of the North County Times, the Padres designated right-handed reliever Pat Neshek for assignment late Saturday night to clear a roster spot for the activation of Ernesto Frieri.
Neshek, 30, registered an underwhelming 4.01 ERA and 1.66 WHIP in 25 relief appearances this year for San Diego, striking out just 20 batters while issuing 22 walks over 24 2/3 innings. He still owns a cool 3.21 career ERA and 1.11 career WHIP, but the side-armer has not been the same since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in 2008.
Neshek could pass through waivers and wind up back in the Padres’ system, likely at Triple-A Tucson.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)