Aug 21, 2011, 10:28 AM EST
According to Dan Hayes of the North County Times, the Padres designated right-handed reliever Pat Neshek for assignment late Saturday night to clear a roster spot for the activation of Ernesto Frieri.
Neshek, 30, registered an underwhelming 4.01 ERA and 1.66 WHIP in 25 relief appearances this year for San Diego, striking out just 20 batters while issuing 22 walks over 24 2/3 innings. He still owns a cool 3.21 career ERA and 1.11 career WHIP, but the side-armer has not been the same since undergoing Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery in 2008.
Neshek could pass through waivers and wind up back in the Padres’ system, likely at Triple-A Tucson.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 25
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 16
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 254
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (255)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)