Alex Rodriguez is still gambling for high stakes

Aug 22, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT

alex rodriguez poker

I’m not sure anyone anywhere really thinks Alex Rodriguez playing high-stakes poker is a big deal, but with MLB repeatedly telling him to stop gambling and his involvement in Hollywood home games making headlines recently you’d think he might at least give it a rest for a while.

Instead the New York Post reports that Rodriguez “was spotted last Monday in a high-stakes gaming room at the Mohegan Sun Casino in the Poconos” while rehabbing his surgically repaired knee with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre team at Triple-A.

That’s perfectly legal, of course, and Rodriguez is surely far from the only MLB player to gamble for high stakes in a casino, but that tells you how little he cares about MLB’s warnings.

When asked about the Post‘s report Rodriguez denied that he played poker, calling it “laughable” and “completely false.” And that might be true, as the high-stakes room he reportedly spent a couple hours in is mostly used for blackjack and slot machines. Either way, Bud Selig and company probably aren’t too happy and Rodriguez clearly couldn’t care less.

1. bigharold - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:37 PM

LEAVE A-ROD ALONE!!

Where’s Len when you need him?

2. trevorb06 - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Unless he’s either breaking a law or breaking an MLB rule I don’t see what the issue is. Does his playing of poker involve betting on games?

“I tell you what Mr. Moneymaker. I’ll raise you 50k and three balls under my glove on Tuesday night.” – ARod

3. FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:42 PM

Really, I mean unless MLB has real cause to believe A-Rod actually went to this place they should only feel irritated at NY media that fabricates nonsense and calls it news.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM

Oh I’m sure he was there, and it’s probably because he knows MLB can’t do anything about it. When Mohegan Sun is a major sponsor with the Yanks, and Harrah’s Casino is now a major sponsor with the Mets, and the Tiger’s owner’s wife is a major stakeholder in a casino in Detroit…

4. yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Oh, I’m here.
    LEAVE AROD ALONE!!!!!!
    The New York Pestilence is not even allowed in my abode to even train illiterate puppies. Will not let their paws be contaminated.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:47 PM

Besides, the Mohegan Sun is in Connecticut.

• ditto65 - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:31 PM

There’s more than one…

5. halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:46 PM

” Bud Selig and company probably aren’t too happy and Rodriguez clearly couldn’t care less.”

Bud Selig isn’t too happy? Darth Selig didn’t care about steroid use for 15 years until it became an issue with Congress. Why do you think he cares about Rodriguez’ gambling habits?

6. yankeesgameday - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I’m waiting for all of the death penalty stories with the Yanks to come out. You know, their willful disregard of the rules, the repeated violations by Arod for gambling in poker games, steroids… I bet we’re going to have the entire 2012 season cancelled.

• Old Gator - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:08 PM

Them’s ominous words down here in Macondo. Psychics and sensitives are having dreams about a mushroom cloud rising over where once stood the University of Macondo field house.

• yankeesgameday - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:18 PM

As a UM alum myself I can see the mushroom cloud all the way in California. Sigh.

• Old Gator - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM

You sure that isn’t Yellowstone?

7. starderup - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM

I bet he is.

8. scatterbrian - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Can MLB realistically tell a player he can’t gamble (excluding the obvious)? As long as he’s not breaking the rule of betting on baseball, why should MLB even have an opinion on how a dude wants to spend/lose money?

9. scatterbrian - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Incidentally, this is the same guy who had sex with Madonna, so he is accustomed to high-stakes gambles.

Nailed it.

10. rcali - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:43 PM

It’s cute that MLB thinks they can tell A-Fraud what to do.

• rhandome - Aug 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM

LOL I THINK YOU MEAN A-ROID AM I RITE????????

11. killabri - Aug 22, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Ok, I really do not understand any of this. If MLB wants to penalize him for playing in those nasty “underground” games that most of us on this blog either currently play in or have played in, then I’d still call it unreasonable but perhaps I could see it. I get that MLB wants to avoid the appearance of one of their premier players being associated with high stakes gambling… despite the fact that said gambling, as far as anyone knows, does not in any way involve betting on any other sports.

A-Rod walked into a casino, and played in a regulated, legalized game of poker. As is his right as a free man who is of age to do such things. The New York Post is making themselves look extremely foolish even publishing this “scoop” and MLB would be even more absurd to respond in any way to it.

If the man wants to go gamble in a manner that does not include him betting on the outcome of games, let him do so and leave him alone.

12. kiwicricket - Aug 22, 2011 at 10:33 PM

A-Rod seems to have other, more pressing matters to address. He’s clearly double parked and he’s parked one on the table. E5.

13. serbingood - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Didn’t MLB ban Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays from baseball for a while because they accepted jobs as greeters at an Atlantic City Casino? They wised up and went, ooops, my bad this was a mistake and let them come back to the fraternity. Alex is no different. As long as he chooses to play legal poker in a legal casino, and a sponsor of the New York Yankees, then why even bother wasting ink – or digital bits – on this non story? A better story would be to keep reminding the sheep which year Bud Selig is retiring. At the end of this year, right? Please at the end of this year……

14. youngyankee - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

i agree that this is a non-story and that A-Rod has every right to partake in high stakes poker if he so chooses.

However, as a yankee fan, I wish he could just be a bit more selective in when he plays. Hearing that while rehabbing his knee in Wilkes-Barre, he went to Mohegan Sun just strikes a “what the F are you doing?” moment.

Not saying that he should spend all his days and freetime on baseball, but perception is everything, and this seems as though his focus is not entirely on returning to a 1st place team and trying to keep them a 1st place team.

15. mj888 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Comon! This is story is not even worth reporting! I was at the casino this weekend too. So BIG DEAL. I make 60k a year and I went to play some 4/8 poker. Arod makes 25 million a year so he went to play some 4K/8K poker. BIG ASS DEAL.

16. mj888 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM

What perception? So anyone who enters a casino is doing something wrong?

• youngyankee - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

perception: “and this seems as though his focus is not entirely on returning to a 1st place team and trying to keep them a 1st place team.”

example: let’s say i’m a dentist, i work Monday through Fridays and I like playing poker.
      a) I go to a casino on Saturday night.
      b) I go to a casino Tuesday night after work and play for a few hours. I then go to work Wednesday.

There’s nothing wrong with a or b and noone has the right to tell me anything since i’m off the clock, but this doesn’t mean that someone upon hearing either a or b, won’t have different opinions about me.

17. mj888 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM

• youngyankee - Aug 23, 2011 at 5:08 PM

ok since you totally missed the point of my example, I’ll give you another one.

If you and I were participating in a golf tournament for a $10million purse and the week before the big dance, you went to Vegas as part of your annual 3-4 times a year vacay, do I have a right to say “Dude, WHAT THE F ARE YOU DOING?!?”

Of course I don’t have a problem with you going to Vegas and partaking in totally legal activities, but as your partner I have the right to question your focus. I think you also (to a certain extent) have a obligation to me as your partner to make sure the perception you give off is nothign short of “i want to win this thing as badly as you do” because quite frankly if you muck a putt on the 18th hole, I want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that it wasn’t because of the bad river beat from Vegas last week that’s still on your mind.

The thing with A-Rod is like i said, i don’t have a problem at all with him gambling; but as a Yankees fan in the midst of a pennant race, I’d like for him to just use some better judgement IF (and its a BIG IF) these reports are true.

• youngyankee - Aug 23, 2011 at 5:28 PM

and to answer your questions:

“Really? So you would go to another dentist if yours went out to play poker during his “off” hours? And you would change your doctor, your broker, your banker, your wife, your kids, your friends if they went to a casino during their free time? Comon, where does it end?”

i never said it’s wrong to go to a casino during your free time, you missed the point of my example where timing is key to perception. Example….A-Rod opting out during the world series, or your doctor operating on you, your wife, your kid and saying on the day of the operation:
      a) I went to Vegas last weekend = “Oh how was it? up or down? did you go to the spearmint rhino?”
      b) I went to Vegas last night. = “…..is Dr. Cardiac not on call today?”

“So you must have a very poor “perception” of me because I go to Vegas 3-4 times a year. And that my job performance MUST be suffering because I played poker during those trips. ABSURD.”

my poor perception of you is based solely on your posts, not your poker playing.

“Someone who goes to church every Sunday, does not play poker, does not drink, does not curse is that he/she is a “good” person. Would you believe that “perception?” Cause I sure as hell don’t.”

well perception is formed from the info you have available to you right? so based off that, yeah i’d consider the person qualified to babysit your kids.

1. M. Morse (2226)