Aug 22, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Last month the A’s had a Rich Harden trade worked out, only to have the Red Sox back away because of concerns about his health.
And now Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the A’s put Harden on waivers only to pull him back when the Indians claimed him and “couldn’t work out a deal.”
That means Harden is no longer eligible to be traded and will finish the season in Oakland after throwing 53 innings with a 3.91 ERA and 60/24 K/BB ratio.
Cleveland will presumably continue to be on the lookout for a veteran starter, although the Indians are now 4.5 games back in the AL Central and in danger of falling into third place.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)