Austin Jackson’s feat hadn’t been pulled off since 1988

Aug 22, 2011, 3:35 PM EDT

Austin Jackson AP

When Austin Jackson threw out Kosuke Fukudome at home to end Detroit’s 8-7 win over Cleveland on Sunday, it was the first time since 1988 that a game had ended with an 8-2 double play.

Baseball-Reference’s Raphy did the research and saw only five games that had ended that way since 1973, the last coming 23 years ago.

Oddly enough, Jim Leyland was the winning manager in the last one, too.  The Pirates beat the Cardinals 3-2 on Sept. 27, 1988 when Luis Alicea, hitting against Pirates closer Jim Gott, flew out to Andy Van Slyke.  Jose Oquendo tried to tie the scoring run from third and was cut down by Van Slyke at the plate.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:41 PM

This has to be wrong…Shane Victorino did this in 2008 back to save a Lidge game. it was the final outs in Atlanta too.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM

oops…thrown out on a single…still an unbelievable throw from the Hawaiian…and yeah, I just put a Phillies slant on a non-Phillies posting after I said we don’t do that :) Sue me.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Now to REALLY compound it I am going to post the video of the throw from the Flyin Hawaiian…go to the 2:40 mark of the video…was an amazing throw.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Whew…THAT was close. Disregard my admonishment below.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

In 2 different posts I said Shane Victorino, Hawaiian, and then, after I watched the video and got all hyped up again, I called him the Flyin Hawaiian. This season needs to end soon so we can start the playoffs.

• kopy - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM

We need a little more time for the Brewers to pass the Phillies for home field advantage.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:59 PM

LOL…I deserve the thumbs downs and the abuse for this one. I really did think it was a double play though. Sorry HBT. Won’t happen again…I promise :(

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Chris, that doesn’t count, since you didn’t refer to him with the proper modifying birthplace.

2. mmowery2323 - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Here’s a video of Austin Jackson’s reaction to the play, along with the thoughts of Jose Valverde and Delmon Young: http://bit.ly/oXe89D

• Jonny 5 - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM

We already know Valverde danced and shook uncontrollably like Charro on Meth. What else is a pitcher to do?

3. yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Were you being sarcastic? You seriously wouldn’t trade Granderson back to the Tigers for Jackson would you?

• ditto65 - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Have you seen Granderson’s numbers?

4. jimbo1949 - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Yeah, nice throw. Playing off the triple play theme of last week, wanna see a nice catch?

5. yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Chris, I think you ought to take me at face value once in a while. Grandy is terrific in CF and since last August wields a helluva bat.
    Tigers fans have been carping about AJax’s strikeout rate all year and except for a splashy play or two it would be like having Melky back, although he’s suited for KC

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM

“Guess I’ll have to comment on a Tigers-Indians game since all the Phillie fans do.
      Did I mention that AJax is a former Yankee? And we’re still glad we have Granderson now?”

When you said we’re glad we have Granderson now with a question mark, I thought you were talking to your fellow Yankees fans. I guess I just read it wrong. Granderson is a beast this year and I would take him over any CF in baseball right now. I don’t care about Kemp and his gaudy WAR…the Grandy-man is the best CF in baseball for 2011.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet